Rental apartment efficiency program
We can help apartment building managers and property owners make changes to save money, energy and water at no cost.
The building must:
- be a purpose-built rental containing a minimum of nine units
- receive natural gas and/or electricity under a commercial rate class from FortisBC or municipal electricity of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro
- have central electric1 or natural gas water heating
- not be slated for demolition
- not have water-efficient showerheads and aerators previously installed
More than 80 per cent of the rental apartment buildings in BC are older than 35 years and may not be as energy efficient as they could be. This program can help you make simple changes to your building to save money, energy and water and improve tenant comfort.
Free building energy assessment
A building energy assessment with our engineering consultants will help identify no- and low-cost ways to improve your building’s energy efficiency. You’ll also learn about opportunities to save energy and costs through our rebates for upgrading to high-efficiency space and water heating systems.
Free installation of energy- and water-saving products
In about 15 to 20 minutes per suite, our contractors will install:
- a water-efficient showerhead
- kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators
- up to 10 LED bulbs (only for FortisBC electricity or municipal electricity customers)
Note: per the BC Residential Tenancy Act, you must provide tenants with proper notice to access suites. A property manager or building representative must accompany contractors as they install products in each unit and complete the building energy assessment.
Ongoing support for energy-efficiency upgrades
If you decide to make larger energy-efficiency upgrades, we’ll support you every step of the way, from acquiring quotes and finding the right contractor to applying for rebates.
Watch our video to learn more
Natural gas customers
Natural gas/electricity customers in Southern Interior
How to apply
- Submit a completed and signed Rental Apartment Efficiency Program application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allow a minimum of 30 days to process your application.
- If your application is approved, we’ll contact you to schedule a date for the building energy assessment and the direct installation of showerheads, faucet aerators and light bulbs (if applicable). We can also provide you with posters to display in common areas of the building to remind tenants of the scheduled upgrades.
Start your rebate application
Here's how much energy you could save
A typical building where a water-efficient showerhead and faucet aerators are installed in each unit along with replacing its central non-condensing space heating boiler with a new condensing boiler could expect to save up to 27 per cent of its natural gas usage.2
If your water is metered, water-efficient products could help save money on your building’s water bill.
We’re here to help
1Only for FortisBC or municipal electricity customers. BC Hydro customers with central electric water heating are not eligible for this program.
2The 27 per cent energy savings is based on 18 per cent savings on natural gas for an efficient boiler/domestic hot water system and 12 per cent savings for installed water-efficient fixtures, multiplied by the reduced load of 0.82 to result in 9 per cent savings in combination. Boiler savings of 18 per cent are an average based on an independent evaluation in 2011 by Prism Engineering of 148 multi-unit residential buildings that participated in the FortisBC Efficient Boiler Program. The water-efficient fixture savings of 12 per cent are based on a 2015 joint FortisBC and BC Hydro study of 70 multi-unit residential buildings that participated in a direct install program with no other energy efficiency upgrades made to the buildings. Actual results may vary. Savings do not include the basic charge or carbon or other taxes. The building owner would need to purchase and install a new condensing boiler for which FortisBC rebates are available.