Environmental benefits of Renewable Natural Gas
The Renewable Natural Gas1 program allows us to take waste that might otherwise be going to landfills, and put it to work. We’re excited to be working with local farmers and municipalities to make Renewable Natural Gas, because we know the environmental benefits of producing and using this sustainable energy.
Renewable Natural Gas helps reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Renewable Natural Gas helps reduce GHG emissions by reducing the amount of conventional natural gas needed.
- Additionally, emissions are reduced when methane (CH4) is captured and repurposed as Renewable Natural Gas, rather than being released directly into the atmosphere.
- Renewable Natural Gas will also help reduce GHG emissions in the transportation sector.
Renewable Natural Gas is carbon neutral
- Renewable Natural Gas is a carbon neutral energy source, because it does not contribute any net carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.2
- The combustion of Renewable Natural Gas releases biogenic carbon dioxide, which does not add to the natural carbon cycle.3
Offsetters, Canada’s leading carbon management solutions provider, independently reviewed FortisBC’s Renewable Natural Gas offering. Offsetters assessed the expected lifecycle emissions savings of Renewable Natural Gas and confirmed that Renewable Natural Gas meets the requirements to be granted Offsetters’ Carbon Neutral Product status in BC, in its report Offsetters’ Biomethane Greenhouse Gas Emissions Review for FortisBC.
Additionally, the BC government considers biomethane from organic waste (including agriculture, landfill or wastewater sources) to be a carbon neutral fuel source.3 Renewable Natural Gas has been approved by BC’s Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources for inclusion within the province’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard for transportation.4
Certified carbon neutral
FortisBC’s Renewable Natural Gas has been designated as carbon neutral in BC by Offsetters.
Renewable Natural Gas production can create environmentally friendly byproducts
- Our suppliers may be able to produce byproducts that can be used as organic fertilizer, mulch or hygienic bedding material for livestock.
- Local farmers may become less reliant on chemical fertilizers, because these nutrient-rich byproducts can replace or minimize the use of chemical fertilizers.
Why should you consider being part of this program? A few insiders explain why they're so passionate about Renewable Natural Gas:
1Renewable Natural Gas is produced in a different manner than conventional natural gas. It is derived from biogas, which is produced from decomposing organic waste from landfills, agricultural waste and wastewater from treatment facilities.
The biogas is captured and cleaned to create carbon neutral Renewable Natural Gas (also called biomethane).
2Ministry of Finance, Tax Bulletin, Natural Gas and Biomethane Sellers, Carbon Tax Act—page 4
3Biomethane Greenhouse Gas Emissions Review for FortisBC by Offsetters—page ii
4Renewable & Low Carbon Fuel Requirements Regulation