Understanding your bill
If you sign with a gas marketer and complete a Transportation Agreement with us, we want to make sure your bill is clear and makes sense to you. Learn about the line items on your bill and where to find important information below.
Note: you will also receive a second bill directly from your gas marketer for the commodity costs.
Signed up for paperless billing? It’s a good idea to check your spam or junk email folder once in while to ensure important emails, like your bill, doesn’t get missed.
1. Amount/payment due/amount to be withdrawn
This is the balance outstanding on your account from your last bill plus new charges.
2. Your account and rate
This section includes your account number, the name your account is in, the address where you are receiving gas service and your rate class.
3. Billing dates
- Due date is the date your next payment is due.
- Billing date is the date your bill was issued. Transactions after this date will appear on your next bill.
- Billing month is the month in which charges are billed to your account.
4. Our contact information
We’re here to help. If you have questions about your bill, call us at 1-855-873-8773, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., or visit fortisbc.com.
5. Previous bill
- Less payment is the last payment amount we received from you.
- Balance from previous bill refers to the amount owing, if any, from your previous bill and any payments or adjustments since we issued your last bill.
6. Summary of current charges
This shows the amount currently owning for the service address receiving gas.
7. Gas marketer contact information
This shows the name of the independent gas marketer you signed a Consumer Agreement with for the commodity cost of gas. If you have questions about the cost of gas on your bill or anything related to your contract, contact your gas marketer with the phone number listed here.
8. Payment return slip
This slip lists your account number, your GST number, bill due date and total amount due. If you receive a paper bill and either mail your payment or pay in person at your financial institution, please include the return slip.
9. Current charges
Your current charges are made up of three charges:
- Basic charge and Administration charge are two fixed charges that are independent of the volume of gas used each month.
- Transportation - firm is a third charge for the delivery of gas to your business via our distribution system, according to your contract with FortisBC.
See more about transportation natural gas rates.
10. Other charges and taxes
Other charges and taxes you may see on your bill are set by various levels of government. We collect them on their behalf and don’t gain any revenue from these including GST.
11. Ways to pay your bill
Find out about the different ways to pay your bill including by credit card, cheque or through your financial institution.