Safety and Environmental Policy
FortisBC is committed to delivering safe, reliable energy in an environmentally responsible manner to all of the communities that we serve. FortisBC’s goal is to ensure a safe and healthy workplace where our employees return home safe and healthy every day.
FortisBC recognizes that every employee has the right to safe and healthy workplace in a learning environment with sound safety and environmental practices. This means that employees need to work safely and to protect their physical and mental health—along with the health and safety of others—and the natural environment during the course of their work, by following established policies, practices, and procedures. FortisBC will not compromise employee and public safety, and strives for excellence in safety and environmental performance.
All leaders are responsible and accountable for implementing and maintaining safety and environmental management system elements, ensuring the necessary resources are provided and following policies, practices and procedures. All employees are responsible and accountable for following our company and regulatory requirements. It is a collaborative and ongoing effort, requiring consultation, participation and cooperation among all leaders and employees.
- comply with safety and environmental legislation and company requirements, and operate in accordance with accepted industry practices and standards, and require the same of our contractors
- commit to injury and incident prevention, the conservation of resources, and the prevention of pollution
- implement environmental protection measures and climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives
- identify hazards, assess risks and implement controls to eliminate hazards or reduce risks as low as reasonably practicable
- train employees to meet their responsibilities in the areas of safety and environmental stewardship
- communicate with employees, the general public, and stakeholders about our activities and the potential impacts on our safety and environment
- provide consultation, participation and engagement processes for our safety and environmental activities, risks and opportunities consistent with stakeholder engagement requirements
- support community-oriented safety and environmental initiatives and programs
- review the safety and environmental policy on a regular basis, regularly monitor our safety and environmental performance by setting objectives and commit to continual improvement to enhance performance
President & CEO, FortisBC