Requesting unclaimed funds
If you've searched our Unclaimed funds database and we may have funds that belong to you, you’ll need to fill out a request form. It will take six to eight weeks to process your request once you submit it.
How to file your request
Follow the three steps to file your request. Also, see below for more details if you want to file a request for someone else, a deceased relative, a company or organization.
- Print, complete and sign an Unclaimed Funds Request form.
- Photocopy all of the supporting documentation you have to prove your claim. The more documentation you can provide, the sooner and easier we can evaluate your claim.
Supporting documentation can include:
Proof of identification (required)
- BC driver's licence or driver's licence from other jurisdictions
- personal health care card number
- identification cards such as birth certificates, citizenship cards, BC ID
- company registration certificate
Proof of address
- proof of current address
- proof of previous address (if you’ve moved since the cheque or refund was issued)
- copy of bill of service from FortisBC, showing the billing address and account number
- copy of invoice payable by FortisBC
- FortisBC vendor/supplier number
- Keep a copy of the completed form and supporting documentation for your files. Then mail the original form and photocopies of supporting documentation to:
FortisBC - Finance Unclaimed Funds
16705 Fraser Highway
Surrey, BC V4N 0E8
Note: we don’t pay interest on the funds if we approve your request.
Requesting funds for others or a company
You can file a request on behalf of another person if you have legal authority to act on that person's behalf. You’ll need to provide proof of authority, such as Power of Attorney, a Representation Agreement, or a Last Will and Testament identifying you as Executor of the Will or Heir to an Estate, or written authorization signed by that person acknowledging your authority to act.
Complete the Unclaimed Funds Request form and mail it with supporting documentation that includes:
- your name and current address
- a copy of your deceased relative's birth certificate
- your relationship to the deceased owner
- documents proving you legally represent the estate, or are an heir to it
- documents proving the deceased is the person identified in our records
Note: if your request is approved, we will issue the cheque to "The Estate of… (the deceased)."
You must be a duly authorized director or an officer of a company or an organization to legitimately file a request for unclaimed funds. Complete the Unclaimed Funds Request form and mail it with supporting documentation that includes:
- your name and current address
- name of the company or organization
- legal documents certifying the capacity in which you are representing the organization and that you are authorized to act on its behalf
If your request is denied
If we deny your request, we’ll send you a letter advising of this. You can appeal in writing and send your letter to:
Include the following information in your letter of appeal:
- the unclaimed date and owner name, indicated on your original request
- the date of your original request
- the reason for your appeal
- any new information you may have gathered since your request was denied
- copies of applicable documents to support your appeal