Net Metering Program
If you want to generate your own renewable energy so you can reduce your electricity bill, you can join our Net Metering Program. Net metering customers use a bidirectional meter to record electricity flowing to and from their home or business, and they receive a credit on their bill for the energy they produce.
Eligibility requirements for the Net Metering Program
- A portion or all of your electricity requirements must be met using a renewable energy source such as hydro power, solar energy, wind energy, geothermal energy, wood residue energy or energy from organic municipal waste.
- The generation equipment must be located on your property.
- The power produced from the generation system only services your property.
- The generating capacity of the system is designed to offset some or all of your consumption. The maximum allowable generating capacity is 50 kW.
Apply for our Net Metering Program
- Complete the Net metering application and submit it along with a single line diagram to email@example.com.
- FortisBC will review your application and provide approval for construction.
- Once your application is approved, you can begin constructing your generation facility.
- Once construction is complete and deemed compliant, you and your contractor will complete and submit the Interconnection Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Net Metering Program guidelines, tariffs and updates
- Net metering interconnection guidelines
- 2016 Net Metering Program update – FortisBC application to the British Columbia Utilities Commission
- 2018 Net Metering Program update – BCUC decision
- FortisBC Electric Tariff
- FortisBC Net Metering Tariff Rate Schedule 95
We’re here to help
If you have questions, please email or call us at