Considering upgrading to gas? Up to $3,700 in appliance rebates available for a limited time.
If you have an oil or propane primary home heating system and want to reduce your heating bills and your carbon footprint, gas is a cost-effective, lower-carbon energy option—and you can also sign up for low-carbon Renewable Natural Gas1 (RNG).
Right now we’ve got bigger rebates available to make it even more cost-effective to upgrade from oil or propane to natural gas heating.
Top five reasons to upgrade from oil or propane to gas heating
Natural gas is an abundant local energy that more than 1 million British Columbians use to heat their homes and businesses. Why should you upgrade?
- Rebates and cost savings
To help you save even more money with gas heating, we’ve got rebates:
Up to $3,700 in appliance rebates available for a limited time2
- Furnace/boiler and water heater rebates + $1,000 bonus: when you pre-qualify between October 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023, and install an eligible high-efficiency natural gas furnace or boiler by March 31, 2024, you can get a $2,300 rebate. Install a natural gas water heater at the same time, or install a combination heating and hot water system for a $2,700 rebate.
- Wall furnace and water heater rebates + $500 bonus: if you’ve got a small space to heat, direct vent natural gas wall furnaces are a great option. Pre-qualify between October 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023, and install one by March 31, 2024, and you could be eligible for a $1,200 rebate. Install a wall furnace and natural gas water heater at the same time for a $1,600 rebate.
- PLUS: get up to a $1,000 additional rebate through our separate Home Renovation Rebate Program when you install an eligible high-efficiency natural gas water heater.
Please note: Final deadlines to apply for the natural gas water heater rebate:
- Eligible equipment must be installed and all invoices must be dated on or before December 31, 2023.
- You have up to six months from the invoice date to submit your rebate application.
- Example: if the invoice date is October 15, 2023, your rebate application must be submitted by April 15, 2024.
How does natural gas compare with other fuel costs?
Heating your home with gas is less than half the cost of oil or propane as you can see from the cost comparison3 below:
A lot of the energy used in an average home goes towards space heating—you can significantly reduce your environmental footprint by replacing oil or propane heating with gas.
The existing gas system delivers natural gas as well as RNG, so once connected to gas, you can sign up for RNG, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of regular gas appliances while further reducing your greenhouse gas emissions. It is less than $3 per month (based on a 5 per cent blend), and you can designate 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100 per cent of the natural gas you use as RNG.
How about cosy fires at the flick of a switch, heat during power outages and efficient water heating—not to mention all the possible outdoor upgrades like gas fire pits, patio and pool heaters? And if you don’t have ductwork, it’s no problem: you can install gas fireplaces and wall furnaces on almost any wall, with no need for ducts or chimneys.
Wondering about the cost of getting connected to gas? You might be surprised to learn it costs as little as $15. Installing a service line and meter typically takes less than a day, and we restore your property after. Learn more about getting gas installed.
Cool comfort + cosy heat
Add an air conditioning unit to your gas central heating system for reliable year-round climate control.
Check out other rebates on high-efficiency natural gas appliances.
1Renewable Natural Gas is produced in a different manner than conventional natural gas. It is derived from biogas, which is produced from decomposing organic waste from landfills, agricultural waste and wastewater from treatment facilities.
The biogas is captured and cleaned to create Renewable Natural Gas (also called biomethane).
2When you replace your home’s oil or propane primary heating system with natural gas and pre-qualify for space and water heating system rebates between October 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023, and install eligible natural gas equipment by March 31, 2024. Terms and conditions apply. Visit the Connect to Gas and Wall Furnace rebates pages for full details.
3As per July 2023 residential natural gas rate. Rates are subject to change quarterly. For current information visit our fuel cost comparison page.