Heat pump water heater rebate
If it’s time to replace your water heater, consider upgrading to a high-efficiency electric heat pump model – they are up to 200 per cent energy efficient and use warmth from ambient air to heat water in the storage tank.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements, as outlined in the terms and conditions and the eligibility and rebate details below.
Important note: to qualify for this rebate your current water heater must be a standard electric storage tank model. If switching from another energy source you may be eligible for rebates through our partners at CleanBC.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice® fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
Heat pump water heater specific requirements
- The upgrades need to be completed by a licensed contractor with a valid B.C. business license for the relevant work and a GST number.
- The water heater being replaced must be a standard electric storage tank in working order. Emergency replacements are not eligible.
- Replacing an existing heat pump water heater is not eligible.
Review the terms and conditions
Ask your contractor to help you find an eligible heat pump water heater.
Note: BC Hydro customers with electrically heated homes may be eligible for similar rebates.
High-efficiency heat pump water heater
How to apply
- Decide what eligible upgrades are best suited for your home and budget with help from your contractor.
- Apply online within six months of your invoice date with the following information:
- your FortisBC electricity account number, or municipal electricity account number from Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
- your email
- scanned copies of all paid invoices showing details of all work performed, including:
- the purchase date
- installation permit numbers (if applicable)
See a sample invoice for heat pump water heaters.
- If you’re not the utility account holder (e.g. property is a rental), have the account holder complete the consent form.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you’ve registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2331.
This program is funded in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.
1 A primary space heating system is a furnace, boiler, combination system or an air source heat pump. Natural gas fireplaces are considered secondary space heating systems. Primary space heating and water heater rebates are offered in conjunction with BC Hydro and CleanBC Better Homes rebates.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Heat pump water heater rebate