Custom Efficiency Program
If you want to improve the energy efficiency of a commercial, industrial or agricultural building or facility, we’ll work with you to develop a custom solution. From energy studies to implementing energy conservation measures, this program provides funding to help you achieve energy and cost savings. It’s all part of our commitment to transform BC’s energy future by helping customers lower their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and supporting the Province’s Roadmap to 2030.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1 and/or a FortisBC electricity customer or municipal electricity customer of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro.1
- You must be an owner or long-term leaseholder of a new or existing industrial or agricultural building or an existing commercial, institutional or multi-unit residential building or facility.
- You must select a consultant included in FortisBC’s list of approved consultants to perform a detailed energy study.
- For natural gas customers, your project must have the potential to save a minimum of 1,000 GJ of natural gas annually.
- For FortisBC or municipal electricity customers, your project must have the potential to save 50,000 kWh of electricity annually. Except for agricultural lighting, indoor lighting projects are not eligible for the Custom Efficiency Program. Visit our commercial lighting rebates page to learn more about available rebates.
We offer several types of funding to help you identify and implement cost-effective energy conservation measures that are tailored to your building or facility. Natural gas customers can receive funding for projects that save natural gas, and FortisBC and municipal electricity customers can receive funding for projects that save electricity.
Note: participants must apply through their key account manager or technical advisor and be approved before accessing funding through this program.
Energy study funding
We can provide up to 75 per cent of the energy study cost to help you have a detailed engineering analysis performed to identify opportunities for cost-effective energy savings in your building or facility. The consultant who performs the energy study must be included in FortisBC’s list of approved consultants.
The maximum energy study incentive for commercial building or agricultural lighting project participants is $37,500. Terms and conditions apply.
Implementation incentives offset the incremental cost of an approved energy conservation measure identified in your energy study. Incremental cost refers to the difference between an energy-efficient project and the project baseline or equivalent but less energy-efficient alternatives.
Incentives are the lesser of:
- $6/GJ over the measure life of a natural gas efficiency project
- $0.03/kWh over the measure life of an electric efficiency project (note: this incentive is for FortisBC or municipal electricity customers)
- 75 per cent of the invoiced project costs
- a maximum of up to $500,000 for commercial building or agricultural lighting projects, or up to $1.5 million for industrial facilities
We offer an implementation bonus of up to 25 per cent of the approved energy study cost to participants who successfully implement one or more approved energy conservation measures.
The maximum implementation bonus incentive for commercial building or agricultural lighting project participants is $12,500.
How to apply
- Contact your natural gas key account manager or electricity technical advisor to discuss your project and request an application.
- We’ll then schedule a project kick-off meeting between you, your engineering consultant and FortisBC.
- You must receive approval in writing from an authorized FortisBC representative before commissioning or beginning the energy study, or purchasing or installing any of the proposed energy conservation measures.
- Approved energy conservation measures must be installed and operational within 18 months of implementation incentive funding approval.
- You must operate the energy conservation measures for at least 36 months after installation.
We’re here to help
If you have questions, contact your natural gas key account manager or electricity technical advisor, call 1-866-884-8833 or email [email protected].
1 Projects within FortisBC’s joint gas and electric service area would have to meet only one set of requirements for natural gas and electric efficiency projects.
2 You must notify FortisBC if you receive funding towards the completion of the energy study or the implementation of an approved energy conservation measure through financial incentive programs from other organizations. You may be required to repay all or a portion of the incentive.