Natural gas water heater rebate
Please note rebates for water heaters are no longer available. If you've installed a water heater in 2023, here are the final deadlines for rebate applications:
- Eligible equipment must have been installed and all invoices must be dated on or before December 31, 2023.
- You have up to six months from the invoice date to submit your rebate application (June 30, 2024, at the latest).
If you've installed a gas water heater in 2023, these are the eligibility requirements and rebate details:
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice® fireplaces)
- If the registered owner of the property where upgrades were made is not the utility account holder (e.g. landlord/tenant) the owner must have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- The home must be a year-round primary residence at least 12 months old and be either a single-family detached, duplex, triplex, row home, townhouse or mobile home on a permanent foundation. New construction, additions and garage upgrades are not eligible. Apartments and condos are eligible for fireplace rebates only.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the paid invoice date (no later than June 30, 2024).
- Rebates cannot exceed the paid cost on the invoice.
- Only one rebate per home for a primary space heating system and a water heater is allowed.1
Gas water heater specific requirements
- All upgrades must have been installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid B.C. business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed. Self-installations are not eligible.
- The existing primary water heating system must have been replaced with a new, eligible gas water heater. Warranty replacements are not eligible.
Review the terms and conditions
Qualifying gas water heaters are eligible for rebates up to $1,000.
Life expectancy: 10 to 13 years
Life expectancy: about 20 years
Condensing storage tank
Life expectancy: 12 to 15 years
|may qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus, when installing an eligible gas water heater with an additional Home Renovation Renate Upgrade.
How to apply
- Ensure the qualifying water heater was installed by a gas contractor licensed with Technical Safety BC. You can find a gas contractor through our online directory.
- Apply online and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including:
- purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number
- gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number
See a paid invoice for water heaters for specific requirements.
Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you've registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.
2 Every home is different. Installation costs are averages and can vary depending on the installation requirements in each home.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas water heater rebate