Thermal curtain rebates
Some North American growers use up to 75 per cent of their energy just for heating their greenhouses, but installing thermal curtains can help you save costs, improve growing conditions and reduce heat loss.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1.
- You must be an owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing commercial or industrial building or a builder/developer or owner of a new commercial or industrial construction project.
- Your facility must use natural gas as an input to industrial production.1
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice).
To qualify for rebates, your facility must:
- be used to grow food (such as peppers, cucumbers, or tomatoes) or flowers (including potted plants)
- use only natural gas for heating
- be new construction or an existing greenhouse
- be under glass (can not be polycarbonate)
If you grow other types of crops, or use other fuels for heating your greenhouse, please contact us.
|Single Layer thermal curtain||$0.35 per square foot2||
|Double Layer thermal curtain||$0.50 per square foot2|
Other requirements for rebates:
Thermal curtains must be installed:
- With a manufacturer's energy savings rating of at least 40 per cent, and a service life of at least 5 years.
- In the growing area (production area). Up to 5 per cent allowance will be granted for non-production area and vertically installed thermal curtains.
- In new or existing greenhouses without existing thermal curtains, or replace existing thermal curtains which are at least five years old.
How to apply
- Contact Thomas Montgomery, industrial key account manager to discuss your project.
- Purchase and install qualifying thermal curtain system.
- Apply online for your thermal curtain system rebate. Your rebate application must include a copy of a paid invoice showing the total installed cost
and supporting documentation which must include:
- Total floor area of the greenhouse area covered
- Type of cloth including energy savings rating (a separate specification sheet can be provided)
- Your rebate application must include a copy of a paid invoice showing the total installed cost and supporting documentation which must include:
- Once approved, you should receive your rebate within 6 to 8 weeks.
Start your rebate application
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
We’re here to help
If you have questions, contact your key account manager for agriculture and food and beverage processors:
1Square foot of greenhouse area covered with horizontal thermal curtain (not square foot of cloth purchased).
2Industrial production is a manufacturing or transformative process in which raw materials are transformed into finished goods for the purpose of resale with the use of machines, tools and labour.
3The performance of thermal curtains varies between models and manufacturers.