Refrigeration equipment rebates for non-profit organizations
If you’re a co-op or Indigenous housing provider, or a non-profit or charity providing services to income-qualified people, take advantage of our rebates on ENERGY STAR® fridges, freezers, ice machines and more.
- You must be a commercial FortisBC or municipal electricity customer of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro.
- You must be a registered charity providing assistance to income-qualified persons, or a housing provider that is:
- a local government
- housing society registered under the Societies Act
- a housing co-op registered under the Cooperative Association Act or
- a governing body of an Indigenous band, provided the housing is primarily for income-qualified households
- You must be either the registered owner, long-term leaseholder, or property manager of the premises.1
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) and install the product within 180 days of submitting the application and supporting documentation.
Energy efficiency ratings are based on ENERGY STAR certification requirements, available at energystar.gov.
Commercial refrigerators and freezers
ENERGY STAR certified commercial fridges or freezers are rated to be 20 per cent more energy efficient than standard efficiency models.
|ENERGY STAR glass door refrigerator||less than 425 L (15 cu. ft.)||$220 per appliance||
|425 to 850 L (15 to 30 cu. ft.)||$285 per appliance|
|850 to 1,416 L (30 to 50 cu. ft.)||$350 per appliance|
|greater than 1,416 L (50 cu. ft.)||$400 per appliance|
|ENERGY STAR solid door refrigerator||less than 425 L (15 cu. ft.)||$250 per appliance||
|425 to 850 L (15 to 30 cu. ft.)||$320 per appliance|
|850 to 1,416 L (30 to 50 cu. ft.)||$400 per appliance|
|greater than 1,416 L (50 cu. ft.)||$500 per appliance|
|ENERGY STAR glass door freezer||less than 425 L (15 cu. ft.)||$250 per appliance||
|425 to 850 L (15 to 30 cu. ft.)||$550 per appliance|
|850 to 1,416 L (30 to 50 cu. ft.)||$900 per appliance|
|greater than 1,416 L (50 cu. ft.)||$1,450 per appliance|
|ENERGY STAR solid door freezer||less than 425 L (less than 15 cu. ft.)||$200 per appliance||
|425 to 850 L (15 to 30 cu. ft.)||$400 per appliance|
|851 to 1,416 L (30 to 50 cu. ft.)||$650 per appliance|
|greater than 1,416 L (greater than 50 cu. ft.)||$900 per appliance|
Upgrades such as LED lighting sensors and door controls can help save electricity costs and make products look attractive.
|Anti-sweat heater humidistat control||low temperature (reduces anti-sweat heater run time by at least 50 per cent)||$73 per linear foot of display case||
|medium temperature (reduces anti-sweat heater run time by at least 80 per cent)|
|Refrigerated display case with doors||medium temperature: 0 to 5 °C||$115 per linear foot of display case||
|Refrigerated display case night cover||$30 per linear foot of display case||
|Refrigerated display case occupancy sensors||low temperature||$1.50 per linear foot of display case||
Electronically commutated motor systems
Upgrading your refrigeration system motors can help save electricity costs.
|Electronically commutated motor systems||low temperature||$75 per motor||
|medium temperature||$77.50 per motor|
Floating head pressure controls
These controls help hold temperature better, helping to reduce product loss and save electricity costs.
|Low temperature condensing unit||$175 per unit||
|Medium temperature condensing unit|
|Low temperature remote condensing unit|
|Medium temperature remote condensing unit|
ENERGY STAR certified commercial ice machines or ice makers are rated to be 15 per cent more energy efficient and 20 per cent more water efficient than standard-efficiency models.
|ENERGY STAR commercial ice machine – continuous self-contained||less than 79 kg (175 lb) harvest per day||$85 per machine||must be on the ENERGY STAR list of certified commercial ice machines|
|greater than 79 kg (175 lb) harvest per day||$260 per machine|
|ENERGY STAR commercial ice machine – continuous ice making head unit||less than 204 kg (450 lb) harvest per day||$125 per machine|
|greater than 204 kg (450 lb) harvest per day||$225 per machine|
|ENERGY STAR commercial ice machine – continuous remote condensing unit||less than 454 kg (1,000 lb) harvest per day||$130 per machine|
|greater than 454 kg (1,000 lb) harvest per day||$250 per machine|
Auto-closers for doors and fan controllers help reduce the need for staff to close cooler and freezer doors manually and help maintain temperature conditions, thus saving electricity.
|Auto-closers for cooler and freezer doors||$75 per door||
|Evaporator fan controllers for walk-in coolers and freezers||$115 per controller||
Vending machine controllers
Installing vending controllers on existing machines can help save energy and maintain products during periods of low use.
|Vending machine controller||$200 per controller||
How to apply
- Purchase and install qualifying equipment.
- Apply online for your refrigeration equipment rebate or email your completed rebate application and supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your FortisBC electricity account number or municipal account number from Penticton, Summerland, Grand Forks or Nelson Hydro
- your email
- scanned or PDF copies of all paid receipts for the purchase and installation of products relevant to the rebate you are applying for
Ensure all receipts are marked “paid,” clear, legible, itemized and indicate relevant information such as brand, model number and any other required information in your application.
Start your rebate application
Planning renovations in a multi-unit residential building?
Want your social housing multi-unit residential building to be more energy efficient? You can get funding for an energy study, project implementation support and rebates on a wide range of energy efficiency measures through the Social Housing Retrofit Support Program.