Pipe and tank insulation rebates
Uninsulated or poorly insulated pipes and tanks represent a significant source of energy waste. Insulation helps save energy costs and keep steam pressure at the right level in your steam system. We offer rebates to encourage customers to install insulation on pipes and tanks for hot water and steam that are heated by natural gas.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1.
- You must be an owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing commercial or industrial building or a builder, developer or owner of a new commercial or industrial construction project.
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice).
|Pipe insulation (min 1" thick)||$4 per linear foot||Insulation must be installed on hot liquid, water or steam pipes (min 1/2" piping diameter)|
|Tank insulation (min 1" thick)||$6 per square foot of tank||Insulation must be installed on a tank containing a liquid with a temperature between 49-77 °C (120 and 170 °F)|
|Tank insulation (1" to 2" thick)||$6 per square foot of tank||Insulation must be installed on a tank containing a liquid with a temperature between 77-93 °C (170 and 200 °F)|
|Tank insulation (min 2" thick)||$9 per square foot of tank||Insulation must be installed on a tank containing a liquid with a temperature between 77-93 °C (170 and 200 °F)|
Note: Valves, flanges, elbows and non-straight pipework are eligible for rebates.
Other requirements for rebates
- Insulation must be installed on pipes and/or tanks that are connected to primarily natural gas-fired equipment for transferring heat to the solution or liquid. Up to a maximum of 25 per cent of the hot water and steam system can be multi-fuel or non-natural gas-fired. Systems not meeting this requirement may still be eligible, however, are subject to additional analysis, and require pre-approval from FortisBC.
- Insulation must be at least 1 inch thick.
- Insulation for pipes must be made of elastomeric foam rubber, polyethylene foam, UV-resistant polyethylene foam, mineral wool, fibreglass, rigid polyurethane foam, rigid phenolic foam, cellular glass or calcium silicate.
- Tank insulation must be foam, mineral wool or fibreglass.
Not eligible for rebates
- Pipe and tanks with pre-existing insulation*
- Pipe and tank insulation required by BC Building Code
- New construction steam pipework insulation
- Adding insulation on pre-existing insulation
* Note: To be eligible, pre-existing insulation must be removed before installing new insulation.
How to apply
- Complete the pipe and tank insulation rebate application. Your rebate must include a copy of a paid invoice showing product type, quantity, make, model number and total installed cost (before tax).
- Email the completed and signed application form and scanned copies of supporting invoices to email@example.com.
- Once approved, you should receive your rebate in six to eight weeks.
Start your rebate application