Media centre details
FortisBC warns customers of suspicious door-to-door sales
Feb 9, 2017
Information Bulletin (Updated: May 15, 2018)
VANCOUVER, BC – FortisBC customers have alerted us to salespeople visiting their homes asking to see their furnace. FortisBC reminds all customers that we do not solicit door-to-door. So, if you receive a visit from someone claiming to be from FortisBC ask for their information and contact us to verify.
What you can do
- Be cautious of anyone who shows up unannounced claiming to be from FortisBC, or offering appliance inspections.
- Always ask for photo identification and get the name of the person offering the services and the business or firm they represent.
- Be cautious before allowing anyone to enter your home.
- If you ask the salesperson to leave, they must leave right away. If you feel unsafe, call the police.
- In the event that you are asked to sign an agreement or any paperwork, ensure that you read the fine print and understand what you are signing.
Report suspicious activity
- If you receive a suspicious visit from someone claiming to be a FortisBC representative, call us. Customers can be certain they are speaking to a legitimate FortisBC customer service representative if they contact FortisBC at 1-888-224-2710 or, for less urgent inquiries, email us at [email protected].
- If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, you can report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, through its website, or by telephone at 1-888-495-8501. As well, let your local police department know.
- Report instances of misleading or deceptive marketing practices to the Competition Bureau using its online complaint form or by telephone at 1-800-348-5358.
- You can also report suspicious sales activities in your neighbourhood to Crime Stoppers.
FortisBC is committed to providing open and transparent service to every customer. We encourage you to share this information bulletin through your social networks and with family and friends.