Variable speed drive rebates for non-profit organizations

If you’re a co-op or Indigenous housing provider, or a non-profit or charity providing services to income-qualified people, take advantage of our rebates on commercial variable speed drives, also called variable frequency drives, for retrofitting existing motors or fans. Variable speed drives can help adjust speed to the need, reduce wear and tear on motors, and save on energy costs.


  1. You must be a commercial FortisBC or municipal electricity customer of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro.
  2. You must be a registered charity providing assistance to income-qualified persons, or a housing provider that is:
    1. a local government
    2. housing society registered under the Societies Act
    3. a housing co-op registered under the Cooperative Association Act or
    4. a governing body of an Indigenous band, provided the housing is primarily for income-qualified households
  3. You must be either the registered owner, long-term leaseholder, or property manager of the premises.1
  4. You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) and install the product within 180 days of submitting the application and supporting documentation.

Review all the terms and conditions.

Rebate details

Only retrofits of existing equipment with variable speed drives are eligible for rebates.

Type   Rebate Requirements
Variable speed drives 20 hp or greater $112 per motor hp
  • must be retrofitted to an existing motor that has not been previously integrated with a variable speed drive
  • must be retrofitted to a motor running a minimum of 2,000 hours per year
  • must control the motor's frequency in response to a variable load
  • variable speed drives used for soft start only are not eligible
less than 20 hp $140 per motor hp

How to apply

  1. Purchase and install qualifying equipment.
  2. Apply online for your variable speed drive rebate or email your completed rebate application and supporting documentation to with the following information:
    • your FortisBC electricity account number or municipal account number from Penticton, Summerland, Grand Forks or Nelson Hydro
    • your email
    • scanned or PDF copies of all paid receipts for the purchase and installation of products relevant to the rebate you are applying for

Ensure all receipts are marked “paid,” clear, legible, itemized and indicate relevant information such as brand, model number and any other required information in your application.

Start your rebate application

Planning renovations in a multi-unit residential building?

Want your social housing multi-unit residential building to be more energy efficient? You can get funding for an energy study, project implementation support and rebates on a wide range of energy efficiency measures through the Social Housing Retrofit Support Program.

Point-of-sale rebates

You may be able to claim a rebate at the time of purchase when you buy products through businesses listed below. These businesses may also be able to help you identify which products are rebate-eligible:

Mearl’s Machine Works Kelowna 250-763-0109

We’re here to help

If you have questions, contact your electricity technical advisor, call 1-866-436-7847 or email

1Property managers can apply for rebates on behalf of owners if they have legal authority and permission to bind them to the terms and conditions.