Natural gas water heater rebates – income qualified


Please note rebates for eligible water heaters will continue to be offered to income-qualified customers after December 31, 2023.


Income-qualified customers who upgrade to an eligible natural gas ENERGY STAR® water heater could qualify for a rebate ranging from $500 to $2,500.


  1. You must be a residential FortisBC natural gas customer with only one active residential natural gas account, upgrading the water heater at your primary residence.
  2. You must be replacing an existing water heater.
  3. Your combined annual household income (from all sources) must be below the maximum shown for your household size. Proof of income is required.

    Household sizeMaximum household income
    1 person$38,200
    2 people$47,600
    3 people$58,500
    4 people$71,000
    5 people$80,500
    6 people$90,800
    7 or more people$101,100
  4. Applications must be submitted within one year of the installation date.
  5. Your home must be 10+ years old and less than 3,500 square feet.

Review the terms and conditions

Make sure the product you’re planning to purchase is eligible for a FortisBC rebate. Click the plus (+) sign to the right of the product type to search by manufacturer and model number.

Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.

Rebate details

If it’s time to replace your old water heater, you have choices beyond a standard storage tank, including high-efficiency tankless and condensing models. Compare each type below and choose a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR water heater for a rebate of up to $2,500. Note: combination heating and hot water system rebates are not available to income-qualified customers.

Upgrade  Rebate Features
Storage tank
Eligible models

Efficiency: good


  • can handle multiple, simultaneous demands for hot water
  • quick recovery means there’s less chance of running out of hot water (some units can heat up to five gallons per minute)


  • some heat will be lost through the flue gases exhausted to the outdoors
  • electrical outlet required, so it won’t work during a power outage
Condensing tankless
Eligible models

Efficiency: ultimate


  • heats water as you need it
  • takes up less space than a storage tank
  • can be wall mounted
  • condensing technology means heat from flue gases is recovered instead of lost, helping to save energy and costs


  • you may have to wait a few seconds for hot water when you turn on the tap
  • most won’t work during a power outage
  • requires a drain for water condensation leaving the system
Condensing storage tank
Eligible models

Efficiency: ultimate


  • offers the benefits of a standard storage tank with much higher efficiency
  • good for large households and can handle multiple, simultaneous demands for hot water
  • quick recovery means there’s less chance of running out of hot water (some units can heat up to five gallons per minute)


  • requires a drain for water condensation leaving the system
Two-upgrade bonus $300 Install an eligible natural gas water heater and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus. 

How can I tell if my water heater needs replacing?

There’s no repairing a leaky water heater. If you notice any of these signs it may be time to get a new one. You can purchase your water heater from a retailer, but to be eligible for this rebate it must be installed by a gas contractor licensed by Technical Safety BC.

  • leaking or pooling water on the top around the water connections and/or under or near the heater
  • rust stains on laundry or in showers or sinks may be evidence of rust buildup in the water heater
  • rusty water comes out of the taps
  • slow hot water recovery time – it takes longer to heat up water or the water doesn’t get as hot even though heat settings haven’t changed
  • bubbling or boiling noises in your tank as water heats up

How to apply

  1. If you wish, request a pre-qualification code. This will help the gas contractor installing your heating system know which rebates you're eligible for.
  2. Purchase a qualifying water heater and have it installed by a gas contractor licensed with Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
  3. Complete the income-qualified rebate application and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including the purchase date, make and model number, the installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number. See a sample invoice for water heaters for specific requirements.
  4. Submit your completed application and copies of supporting documents, including your proof of income, within 1 year of the installation date.

    Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Start your rebate application

Note: the rebate application link takes you to Account login. Once you’ve registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application.

For tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.

How do I show proof of income?

Submit a copy of one of the following for each member of your household over 18 years of age. 

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA): submit a copy of your NOA from the Canada Revenue Agency for a current income tax return. Black out all information except for your name, address, effective date and income (line 15000 on NOA).
  • Social Assistance: submit your monthly cheque stub, or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if registered for My Self Serve.
  • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER): submit either your SAFER cheque stub, acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • Rental Assistance Program: submit your Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • National Child Benefit Supplement: submit your benefit notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Other income: if applicable, provide documentation of foreign, rental and/or other income.
  • Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS): submit your GIS notice.

How to get your Notice of Assessment

  • The NOA is the document Canada Revenue Agency sends you after filing your tax return. If you have your most current NOA, send us a copy with your application.
  • If you do not have your NOA, use Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account service to view and print a copy of your information.
  • You can also call them to request your NOA at 1-800-959-8281. Agents are available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Third-party offers and services

We’re here to help

If you have questions about this rebate, or you're a contractor that is new to this program, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.

1Every home is different. Installation costs are averages and can vary depending on the installation requirements in each home.

Rebate bundle: Income-qualified programs

Heat pump rebate – income qualified

Free home energy evaluation and upgrades

Free Energy Saving Kit

Furnace and boiler rebates – income qualified

Natural gas water heater rebates – income qualified

Get free energy-saving products to make your home more comfortable and energy efficient.