Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas water heater rebate
Natural gas water heater rebate
Upgrade to a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR® water heater and you could get rebates from $200 to $1,000.
1. You must be a residential FortisBC natural gas customer.
2. You must be replacing an existing water heater.
3. Your rebate application must be postmarked within 60 days of the purchase date. Invoices must be dated on or after January 1, 2019.
If it’s time to replace your old water heater, you have choices beyond a standard storage tank, including high-efficiency tankless and condensing models. Compare each type below and choose a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR water heater for a rebate of up to $1,000.
Efficiency: good – energy factor (EF) of 0.67 to 0.70
Average installed cost: $1,500 to $1,800
Life expectancy: 10 to 13 years
Efficiency: ultimate – EF of 0.90 to 0.99
Average installed cost: $4,000 to $4,900
Life expectancy: about 20 years
Condensing storage tank
Efficiency: ultimate – thermal efficiency (TE) of up to 98 per cent
Average installed cost: $3,500 to $4,300
Life expectancy: 12 to 15 years
How can I tell if my water heater needs replacing
There’s no repairing a leaky water heater. If you notice any of these signs it may be time to get a new one. You can purchase your water heater from a retailer, but to be eligible for this rebate it must be installed by a gas contractor licensed by Technical Safety BC.
- leaking or pooling water on the top around the water connections and/or under or near the heater
- rust stains on laundry or in showers or sinks may be evidence of rust buildup in the water heater
- rusty water comes out of the taps
- slow hot water recovery time – it takes longer to heat up water or the water doesn’t get as hot even though heat settings haven’t changed
- bubbling or boiling noises in your tank as water heats up
How to apply
- Purchase a qualifying water heater and have it installed by a gas contractor licensed with Technical Safety BC. You can find a gas contractor through our online directory.
- Complete the water heater rebate application and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including the purchase date, make and model number, the installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number. See a sample invoice for water heaters for specific requirements.
- Email or mail your completed application and copies of supporting documents within 60 days of the installation date to:
ENERGY STAR Water Heater Program
PO Box 9090
Surrey, BC V3T 5W4
Note: if mailing, registered mail is recommended.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Third-party offers & services
For advice on options and incentives for energy-efficiency upgrades for homes, contact the CleanBC Energy Coach. Energy Coaches are trained energy-efficiency specialists who provide building-science based information about the options and opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your home or building. Note: FortisBC is not responsible for any advice provided by the energy coach.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about our rebates, call 1-800-663-8400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1Every home is different. Installation costs are averages and can vary depending on the installation requirements in each home.