Natural gas furnace rebates
Rebates are available when you replace your old natural gas furnace with an eligible ENERGY STAR® model and connected thermostat. And now, for a limited time, we’ve got double rebates! Meaning, you could get a rebate of up to $2,000 on an eligible furnace and $300 on a furnace manufacturer’s connected thermostat. To access these double rebates you must register for a promo code by December 31, 2020 and install your new furnace between Oct 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements, as outlined in the terms and conditions and the eligibility and rebate details below.
- You must be a residential FortisBC natural gas customer, with natural gas as your primary source of heat.
- Your existing furnace must be at least 10 years old and must not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax, including parts and labour). Emergency replacements of a furnace that is not in working order or is deemed unsafe to operate by a licensed gas contractor is not eligible.
- The furnace must be the home’s primary* source of space heating.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace with a two-pipe direct vent system, as verified by a photograph included with your application.
For more information, see our info sheet: Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
- To obtain the additional $150 Connected thermostats rebate, a qualifying thermostat must be installed by your licensed contractor at the same time as the new qualifying furnace.
- The furnace must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a GST number and valid BC business licence.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the invoice date.
- Additional eligibility requirements apply.
- Register for a promo code by December 31, 2020.
- The furnace must be installed and invoice dated between October 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
- Include your promo code on your application. Note: the double rebate will be applied after your application is review and approved.
*Only one primary space heating rebate allowed per home. (A fireplace is considered secondary.)
Additional requirements for double rebates
Review the terms and conditions
- for invoices dated on or after October 1, 2020
- for invoices dated before October 1, 2020
- for double rebates
Rebate eligible furnaces
Make sure the natural gas furnace you're planning to purchase is eligible for a rebate. Click on the dropdown menu to search. Only models listed here qualify.
Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.
|95 to 96.9 annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||
Was $800 – now $1,600
|97 to 99% annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||
Was $1,000 – now $2,000
Was $150 – now $300
|Two-upgrade bonus||$300||Install an eligible ENERGY STAR natural gas furnace and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus.|
How to apply
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace and have it installed with a two-pipe direct vent system by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a valid GST number. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
Apply online. Your application must include:
- a copy of your completed furnace commissioning sheet from your contractor
- a photograph of the new two-pipe direct vent system, (sample 1, sample 2)
- a copy of your paid invoice showing details of:
- all work performed
- purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number (see the sample invoice for specific requirements.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process. A small percentage of applicants may be asked for permission to visit their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace. These site visits are carried out by a third-party contractor and help us improve our rebate programs.
Start your rebate application
Incentives for gas contractors
Contractors who would like to take part in our Furnace Replacement Program can receive a $100 incentive for each approved customer application.
Contractors are required to agree to terms and conditions and comply with requirements in the High-efficiency furnace installation guide for existing houses.
Third-party offers and services
For advice on options and incentives for energy-efficiency upgrades for homes, contact the CleanBC Energy Coach. Energy Coaches are trained energy-efficiency specialists who provide building-science based information about the options and opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your home or building. Note: FortisBC is not responsible for any advice provided by the energy coach.
If making multiple upgrades consider hiring a program qualified energy advisor to perform a pre- and post-upgrade EnerGuide®* home evaluation.
*EnerGuide is an official mark of Natural Resources Canada.
Ecolighten Energy Solutions and It’s on Electric (IOE)
As we work to continuously improve our programs, we will be asking a small percentage of applicants to provide access to their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace. This work is being carried out by one of our third-party contractors:
The site visit may be conducted either in-person or virtually using an app such as FaceTime or Google Hangouts. Ecolighten and IOE staff will always call in advance to book a site visit appointment with you. Their staff also carry photo ID badges identifying them as FortisBC contractors.
Ensure a quality furnace installation
Having your high-efficiency heating system installed to quality standards can help provide you with years of comfort and energy savings. Check out these resources to learn more:
- Watch our short video to learn what quality installation standards are and how to choose a natural gas contractor.
- Review our info sheet: Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
We’re here to help
If you have questions, contact us at 1-855-909-2329 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is funded in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas furnace rebates