Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas furnace & boiler rebates
Natural gas furnace & boiler rebates
Replace your old natural gas furnace or boiler with an eligible ENERGY STAR® model and you could qualify for a $500 rebate on a boiler or up to $700 on a furnace.
- You must be a residential FortisBC natural gas customer, with natural gas as your primary source of heat.
- Your existing furnace or boiler must be at least 10 years old and must not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax, including parts and labour). Emergency replacements of a furnace or boiler that is not in working order or is deemed unsafe to operate by a licensed gas contractor are not eligible.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler with a two-pipe direct vent system, as verified by a photograph included with your application.
- You must have purchased, installed and paid in full for your furnace or boiler on or after July 10, 2018.
- Applications must be submitted within 60 days of the installation date.
|95 to 96.9 per cent annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||$500||Eligible furnaces|
|97 to 99 per cent AFUE furnace||$7001|
|94 per cent or higher AFUE boiler||$500||Eligible boilers|
Other requirements for high-efficiency furnace and boiler rebates
Your new heating system must have two-pipe direct venting. One pipe provides directly vented outside air to the sealed combustion chamber, while the second sealed pipe directs exhaust gases outside. This system improves the efficiency and lifespan of the equipment as well as the comfort of your home.
For more information, see our info sheet on what to look for in a high-efficiency furnace installation.
How to apply
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler and have it installed with a two-pipe direct vent system by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
- Work with your contractor to complete, in full, the applicable application form and commissioning sheet:
- furnace rebate application and commissioning sheet
- boiler rebate application and commissioning sheet
You must include a photograph of the new two-pipe direct vent system
(sample 1, sample 2)installed in your home and a copy of your paid invoice showing details of all work performed, purchase date, make and model number, the installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number. See the sample invoice for specific requirements.
- Email or mail your completed application and copies of supporting documents within 60 days of the installation date to:
Furnace and Boiler Replacement Program
PO Box 9090
Surrey, BC V3T 5W4
Note: if mailing, registered mail is recommended.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process. A small percentage of applicants may be asked for permission to visit their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace or boiler. These site visits are carried out by a third-party contractor and help us improve our rebate programs.
Incentives for gas contractors
Contractors who would like to take part in our Furnace and Boiler Replacement Program can receive a $100 incentive for each approved customer application.
Contractors are required to agree to terms and conditions and comply with requirements in the High-efficiency furnace installation guide for existing houses.
Third-party offers & services
EfficiencyBC is a free service offered by City Green Solutions, a third-party, non-profit organization. It provides homeowners and contractors with information on energy-efficiency upgrades for homes, including:
- Rebates from your local municipality and the Government of BC.
- Energy Coach advice on options and incentives for saving energy. Note: FortisBC is not responsible for any advice provided by the energy coach.
As we work to continuously improve our programs, we will be asking a small percentage of applicants to provide us with access to their home to verify the installation and operation of the new furnace or boiler. This work is being carried out by a third-party contractor called Ecolighten Energy Solutions. Ecolighten staff will always call in advance to book a site visit appointment with you. Their staff also carry photo ID badges identifying them as FortisBC contractors.
Ensure a quality furnace installation
Having your high-efficiency heating system installed to quality standards can help provide you with years of comfort and energy savings. Check out these resources to learn more:
- Watch our short video to learn what quality installation standards are and how to choose a natural gas contractor.
- Review our info sheet, Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about this rebate, or are a contractor who is new to this program, call 1-800-663-8400 or email email@example.com.
1This incentive is funded by FortisBC, the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.