Natural gas fireplace rebate
If you’re buying a new natural gas fireplace for your home, townhouse or condominium, upgrade to an eligible EnerChoice® model and you could get a $300 rebate.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements, as outlined in the terms and conditions and the eligibility and rebate details below.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
Natural gas fireplace specific requirements
- All upgrades must be installed by a licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid B.C. business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed.
- You must be installing a new eligible EnerChoice fireplace. Warranty replacements are not eligible.
- Only interior installations are eligible for a rebate. Outdoor fireplaces don’t qualify.
Review the terms and conditions
Rebate eligible fireplaces
Make sure the fireplace you’re planning to purchase is eligible for a rebate by using our search tool. Only models listed here qualify. Enter a manufacturer or model number to start your search.
Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.
The EnerChoice designation was developed by fireplace manufacturers to identify the most energy-efficient natural gas fireplaces. To qualify for EnerChoice, hearths must have a minimum fireplace efficiency rating of:
- 62.4 per cent or higher for fireplaces
- 61 per cent or higher for inserts
- 66 per cent or higher for freestanding stoves
We offer rebates on the highest efficiency models that meet our requirements.
|EnerChoice natural gas fireplace, insert or freestanding stove||$300||
|Two-upgrade bonus||$300||Install an eligible EnerChoice natural gas fireplace and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus.
Note: to be eligible for this bonus the new EnerChoice fireplace must be replacing an existing natural gas fireplace. In addition, only one fireplace rebate can be applied towards this bonus.
How to apply
- Purchase an eligible EnerChoice fireplace and have it installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a valid GST number. You can find a licensed gas contractor through our online directory, and fireplace retailers are listed on the EnerChoice website.
- If you are a FortisBC residential natural gas account holder, apply online.
If you are a strata unit owner and the FortisBC natural gas account is in the strata's name, have your strata complete the Utility Account Holder consent form and submit it along with your other documentation when you apply online. You will need to create a FortisBC user ID, but will select "no" when prompted to link a gas account.
- Apply within six months of your invoice date and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including:
- the purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number
- gas contactor's Technical Safety BC licence number
See a sample invoice for fireplaces for specific requirements.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you’ve registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
Third-party offers and services
Additional rebates for replacing a wood stove
The Province of BC and local communities are offering incentives to exchange wood stoves with cleaner burning options such as natural gas fireplaces. These rebates are independent of FortisBC and have their own eligibility criteria. To learn more, visit the Provincial Wood Stove Exchange Program.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.
1 A primary space heating system is a furnace, boiler, combination system or an air source heat pump. Natural gas fireplaces are considered secondary space heating systems. Primary space heating and water heater rebates are offered in conjunction with BC Hydro and CleanBC Better Homes rebates.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas fireplace rebate