Natural gas fireplace rebate
If you’re buying a new natural gas fireplace for your home, townhouse or condominium, upgrade to an eligible EnerChoice® model and you could get a $300 rebate.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements, as outlined in the terms and conditions and the eligibility and rebate details below.
Click the headings below to review general eligibility for the Home Renovation Rebate Program, as well as specific eligibility requirements for fireplaces.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
- If the registered owner of the property where upgrades were made is not the utility account holder (e.g. landlord/tenant) the owner must have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- The home must be a year-round primary residence at least 12 months old and be either a single-family, duplex, triplex, row home, townhouse or mobile home on a permanent foundation. New construction, additions and garage upgrades are not eligible. Apartments and condos are eligible for fireplace rebates only.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the paid invoice date.
- Rebates cannot exceed the paid cost on the invoice.
- Only one rebate per home for a primary space heating system and a water heater is allowed.1
Natural gas fireplace specific requirements
- All upgrades must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed. Self-installations are not eligible.
- You must be installing a new eligible EnerChoice fireplace. Warranty replacements are not eligible.
- Only interior installations are eligible for a rebate. Outdoor fireplaces don’t qualify.
Terms and conditions
Before you begin work, we recommend you review the terms and conditions applicable to the date on your paid invoice.
You can look up a specific make and model of fireplace using our search tool. Or view the lists of all eligible models below.
Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.
Rebate amounts and all eligible models
The EnerChoice designation was developed by fireplace manufacturers to identify the most energy-efficient natural gas fireplaces. To qualify for EnerChoice, hearths must have a minimum fireplace efficiency rating of:
- 62.4 per cent or higher for fireplaces
- 61 per cent or higher for inserts
- 66 per cent or higher for freestanding stoves
We offer rebates on the highest efficiency models that meet our requirements.
|EnerChoice natural gas fireplace, insert or freestanding stove
||$300||Install an eligible EnerChoice natural gas fireplace and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to apply for your rebate. For detailed instructions on how to use our online application, check out this guide.
- Purchase an eligible EnerChoice fireplace and have it installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a valid GST number. You can find a licensed gas contractor through our online directory, and fireplace retailers are listed on the EnerChoice website.
- If you are a FortisBC residential natural gas account holder, apply online.
If you are a strata unit owner and the FortisBC natural gas account is in the strata's name, have your strata complete the Utility Account Holder consent form and submit it along with your other documentation when you apply online. You will need to create a FortisBC user ID, but will select "no" when prompted to link a gas account.
- Apply within six months of your invoice date and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including:
- the purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number
- gas contractor's Technical Safety BC licence number
See a sample invoice for fireplaces for specific requirements.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you've registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
Additional rebates for replacing a wood stove
The Province of BC and local communities are offering incentives to exchange wood stoves with cleaner burning options such as natural gas fireplaces. These rebates are independent of FortisBC and have their own eligibility criteria. To learn more, visit the Provincial Wood Stove Exchange Program.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.
1 A primary space heating system is a furnace, boiler, combination system or an air source heat pump. Natural gas fireplaces are considered secondary space heating systems. Primary space heating and water heater rebates are offered in conjunction with BC Hydro and CleanBC Better Homes rebates.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas fireplace rebate