Rebate bundle: Income-qualified programs
Furnace & boiler rebates – income qualified
Furnace & boiler rebates – income qualified
Income-qualified customers who replace their old natural gas furnace or boiler with an eligible ENERGY STAR® model could qualify for up to a $3,0001 rebate on a furnace, or a $2,000 rebate on a boiler.
- You must be a residential FortisBC natural gas customer, with natural gas as your primary source of heat.
- Your combined annual household income (from all sources) must be below the maximum shown for your household size. Proof of income is required.
Household size Maximum household income 1 person $33,700 2 people $42,000 3 people $51,600 4 people $62,600 5 people $71,000 6 people $80,100 7 or more people $89,200
- Your existing furnace or boiler must be at least 10 years old and must not require repairs in excess of $1,000 (pre-tax, including parts and labour). Emergency replacements of a furnace or boiler that is not in working order, or is deemed unsafe to operate by a licensed gas contractor, are not eligible.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler with a two-pipe direct vent system, as verified by a photograph included with your application.
- You must have purchased, installed and paid in full for your furnace or boiler on, or after, April 1, 2019.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the installation date.
|95 to 96.9 per cent annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace with a maximum size of 80,000 BTU/hour||$2,000||Eligible furnaces|
|97 to 99 per cent AFUE furnace with a maximum size of 80,000 BTU/hour||$3,0001||Eligible furnaces|
|94 per cent or higher AFUE boiler with a maximum size of 80,000 BTU/hour||$2,000||Eligible boilers|
Other requirements for high-efficiency furnace and boiler rebates
Your new heating system must have two-pipe direct venting. One pipe provides directly vented outside air to the sealed combustion chamber, while the second sealed pipe directs exhaust gases outside. This system improves the efficiency and lifespan of the equipment as well as the comfort of your home.
How to apply
- If you wish, request a pre-qualification code. This will help the gas contractor installing your heating system know which rebates you're eligible for.
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace or boiler and have it installed with a two-pipe direct vent system by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
- Work with your contractor to complete, in full, the income-qualified rebate application and commissioning sheet.
You must include a photograph of the new two-pipe direct vent system (sample 1, sample 2) installed in your home and a copy of your paid invoice showing details of all work performed, purchase date, make and model number, the installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number. See the sample invoice for specific requirements.
- Email or mail your completed application and copies of supporting documents, including your proof of income, within six months of the installation date to:
Income-Qualified Space and Water Heating Program
PO Box 9030
Surrey, BC V3T 5W3
Note: if mailing, registered mail is recommended.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process. Some applicants may be asked for permission to visit their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace or boiler. These site visits are carried out by a third-party contractor and help us improve our rebate programs.
Start your rebate application
How do I show proof of income?
Submit a copy of one of the following for each member of your household over 18 years of age.
- Notice of Assessment (NOA): submit a copy of your NOA from the Canada Revenue Agency for a current income tax return. Black out all information except for your name, effective date and income (line 150 on NOA).
- Social Assistance: submit your monthly cheque stub, or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if registered for My Self Serve.
- Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER): submit either your SAFER cheque stub, acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- Rental Assistance Program: submit your Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- National Child Benefit Supplement: submit your benefit notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
- Other income: if applicable, provide documentation of foreign, rental and/or other income.
How to get your Notice of Assessment
- The NOA is the document Canada Revenue Agency sends you after filing your tax return. If you have your most current NOA, send us a copy with your application.
- If you do not have your NOA, use Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account service to view and print a copy of your information.
- You can also call them to request your NOA at 1-800-959-8281. Agents are available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Incentives for gas contractors
Contractors who would like to take part in our Furnace Replacement Program for income-qualified customers can receive a $100 incentive for each approved customer application.
Contractors are required to agree to terms and conditions and comply with requirements in the High-efficiency furnace installation guide for existing houses.
Third-party offers and services
For advice on options and incentives for energy-efficiency upgrades for homes, contact the CleanBC Energy Coach. Energy Coaches are trained energy-efficiency specialists who provide building-science based information about the options and opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your home or building. Note: FortisBC is not responsible for any advice provided by the energy coach.
Ensure a quality furnace installation
Having your high-efficiency heating system installed to quality standards can help provide you with years of comfort and energy savings. Check out these resources to learn more:
- Watch our short quality install video to learn what quality installation standards are and how to choose a natural gas contractor.
- Review our info sheet, Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about this rebate, or are a contractor who is new to this program, call 1-877-446-8855 or email email@example.com.
1This program is funded by FortisBC, the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.