Rebate bundle: Income-qualified programs

Free home energy evaluation & upgrades

Free kit to save energy at home

Get free energy-saving products to make your home more comfortable and energy efficient.

Free kit to save energy at home

If your household is income qualified, you can order a free kit to help you save on heating, hot water and electricity in your home.


  1. You must have a residential electricity account with one of the following utilities:
    • BC Hydro, FortisBC, New Westminster, Grand Forks, Summerland, Penticton or Nelson Hydro
  2. Your combined household income must be below the maximum shown for your household size. Proof of income may be required.

     Household size  Maximum household income
    1 person $32,900
    2 people $41,000
    3 people $50,400
    4 people $61,200
    5 people $69,400
    6 people $78,300
    7 or more people $87,200

Review all the terms and conditions.

Details about the Energy Saving Kit

The Energy Saving Kit is filled with easy-to-install products (instructions included), such as: 

  • a water-efficient showerhead
  • kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators
  • weatherstripping
  • window film
  • outlet and switch sealers
  • a refrigerator/freezer thermometer
  • an LED night light and four LED light bulbs
  • a furnace filter coupon

Limit of one kit per household.

How to apply

FortisBC and BC Hydro work together to offer the Energy Saving Kit, so apply to your electricity provider. 

  1. Gather the following information:
  2. Complete and submit the online application to your electricity provider:
  3. Please allow three to six weeks for application processing and delivery of your kit.
  4. If you have questions or would like to request a kit by phone, call FortisBC at 1-866-436-7847 or BC Hydro at 1-800-BCHYDRO (1-800-224-9376) or 604-224-9376 in the Lower Mainland. 

How do I show proof of income?

If requested, submit a copy of one of the following for each member of your household over 18 years of age. Black out all information except for your name, effective date and income (Line 150 on a Notice of Assessment).

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA): submit a copy of your NOA from the Canada Revenue Agency for a current income tax return.
  • Social Assistance: submit your monthly cheque stub, or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if registered for My Self Serve.
  • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER): submit either your SAFER cheque stub, acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • Rental Assistance Program: submit your Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • National Child Benefit Supplement: submit your benefit notice from Canada Revenue Agency.

How to get your Notice of Assessment

  • The NOA is the document Canada Revenue Agency sends you after filing your tax return. If you have your most current NOA, send us a copy with your application.
  • If you do not have your NOA, use Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account service to view and print a copy of your information.
  • You can also call them to request your NOA at 1-800-959-8281. Agents are available Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Energy Saving Kits for non-profit housing providers

Non-profit, co-op or Indigenous housing organizations can order kits for multiple units in a complex. For more information, call:

  • 1-866-436-7847 if you’re a FortisBC electricity or municipal electricity customer of Grand Forks, Summerland, Penticton or Nelson Hydro
  • 1-877-326-3488 if you’re a BC Hydro or New Westminster electricity customer