Steam trap audit and replacement rebates
Improve the efficiency of your steam system and save money by finding and replacing leaking steam traps.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1.
- You must be an owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing commercial or industrial building.
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice).1
We offer rebates to help you find and replace steam traps that have failed open. It’s estimated that about 20 per cent of the steam leaving the central boiler plant of a typical industrial facility is lost through leaking steam traps (source: Steam trap performance assessment US Department of Energy). Losing steam not only affects your production process but can cost you thousands of dollars a year in energy costs.2
|Steam trap audit||50 per cent – up to $10,000||
|Steam trap replacement||$250 per failed-open steam trap replaced||
Other requirements for rebates
The steam system must be primarily natural gas-fired. Up to a maximum of 25 per cent of the steam system can be multi-fuel or non-natural gas-fired steam. Systems not meeting these criteria may still be eligible, however, are subject to additional analysis, and require pre-approval from FortisBC.
How to apply
- Complete a steam trap audit either internally or by using a qualified third-party contractor and record your findings. You may use our steam trap audit template (XLS) to record results.
- Replace failed steam traps at your facility within six months of the audit. Only replacements of failed-open steam traps are eligible for rebates.
- Complete the steam trap rebate application. Your rebate application must include a completed steam trap audit report, a paid steam trap audit invoice (if a third-party contractor performed the audit) and a paid steam trap replacement invoice showing the product type, quantity, make, model number and total installed cost (before taxes).
- Email the completed and signed application form and scanned copies of all supporting documentation to email@example.com.
- Once approved, you should receive your rebate in six to eight weeks.
Start your rebate application
You may be able to claim a rebate at the time of purchase when you buy products through businesses listed below. These businesses may also be able to help you identify which products are rebate-eligible:
|Spirax Sarco Canada
We’re here to help
1Industrial production is a manufacturing or transformative process in which raw materials are transformed into finished goods for the purpose of resale with the use of machines, tools and labour.
2Cost of steam calculated based on an industrial boiler efficiency of 85 per cent producing steam at 100 psi pressure and paying an industrial natural gas rate of $5/gigajoule (FortisBC Mainland service area). Cost of steam = ($5/GJ) / (0.95 GJ/MMBtu) / (1E6 Btu/MMBtu) x 1,000 lbs x 1,110 (Btu/lb) / 0.85 = $6.80/1,000 lbs. For more information see the US Department of Energy information sheet “Benchmark the Cost of Steam Generation.