Natural gas furnace rebates
Replace your old commercial natural gas furnace with an eligible ENERGY STAR® model and you could qualify for a rebate of up to $1,000.* Plus, if you install an eligible connected or ENERGY STAR thermostat, you could be qualify for an additional $150 rebate.
*Eligible furnaces with invoices dated between October 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021 may be eligible for even bigger rebates.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1.
- The furnace must be replacing an existing natural gas primary space heating system that's a minimum of 10 years old. Emergency replacements of space heating systems that are not in working order or deemed unsafe to operate by a licensed gas contractor are not eligible for rebates.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR certified furnace with a two-pipe direct vent system, as verified by a photograph included with your application.
- Connected thermostats must be installed by your licensed contractor at the same time as the new qualifying furnace installation.
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice) or installation date (as listed on the application form), whichever is first.
- To qualify for top-up rebates you must be a FortisBC commercial natural gas customer who owns or operates a registered charity that provides assistance to low-income persons, or a housing provider that is:
- a local government
- housing society registered under the Societies Act
- a housing co-op registered under the Cooperative Association Act or
- a governing body of an Indigenous band, provided the housing is primarily for low-income households
Note: top-up participants do not include:
- school boards or educational institutions
- health authorities or hospitals
- public libraries
Review the terms and conditions
|95 to 96.9 per cent annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||$800
Top-Up Eligible Participants $2000
|97 to 99 per cent annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||$1,000
Top-Up Eligible Participants $3000
|ENERGY STAR thermostats||$150||ENERGY STAR connected thermostats
|Furnace manufactured connected thermostat||$150||Furnace manufacturer connected thermostats|
Other requirements for high-efficiency commercial furnace rebates
Your new heating system must have two-pipe direct venting. One pipe provides directly vented outside air to the sealed combustion chamber, while the second sealed pipe directs exhaust gases outside. This system improves the efficiency and lifespan of the equipment as well as the comfort of your building.
How to apply
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR certified furnace and have it installed with a two-pipe direct vent system by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
- Work with your contractor to complete, in full, the furnace rebate application and commissioning sheet.
You must include a clear, legible copy of your receipt or fully paid invoice showing the following:
- details of all work performed
- purchase date
- quantity, make and model number of eligible furnace(s) purchased and installed
- installation permit number
- gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number
- any other required information for your application
- Email your completed application and copies of supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The new furnace must undergo commissioning to ensure it's installed and operating according to best practice. A copy of the completed commissioning sheet must be made available upon request
Incentives for gas contractors
Contractors who take part in our Furnace Replacement Program can receive a $100 incentive for each approved customer application.
Limited time incentive
For the first 100 approved customer applications received in 2021, contractors participating in the Furnace Replacement Program can double their incentive to $200.
Help improve our programs
As we work to continuously improve our programs, we will be asking some applicants to provide us with access to their building or facility to verify the installation and operation of the new furnace. This work is carried out by a third-party contractor. Staff will always call in advance to book a site visit appointment with you.