Natural gas boiler rebates
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas customer under any rate class except Rate 1.
- You must be a property owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing commercial building or a builder/developer or property owner of a new commercial construction project.
- Boilers must be used to meet your site's thermal loads: space, service hot water, domestic hot water (DHW), pool and/or process heating. Boilers installed to meet other operational needs (such as backup, standby or secondary boilers) are not eligible.
- You must submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice) or installation date (as listed on the application form), whichever is first.
Rebate amounts are determined by the size (in 1,000 Btu/hour or MBH) and thermal efficiency (TE) of the boiler. Commercial and industrial customers who use natural gas for process heat, such as food processors and greenhouses, are also eligible for boiler rebates.
|Boiler with thermal efficiency (TE) of 85 to 89.99 per cent||$4 per MBH, up to $20,000|
|Boiler with TE of 90 per cent or higher||$9 per MBH, up to $45,000|
Which boilers are eligible?
New boilers must be certified and included on one of the lists below at the time of purchase, as evidenced by the date on the proof of purchase:
- ENERGY STAR® certified boiler
- AHRI certified commercial boilers list
- listed in the applicable tables for boilers 300 MBH or greater
All new boilers must also have a thermal efficiency of 85 per cent or greater. Boilers that receive AHRI or ENERGY STAR certification after the date of purchase are not eligible for a rebate. Boilers that were previously listed on AHRI (within the past two years) may be considered for a rebate; please contact your key account manager to confirm before purchasing.
Note: FortisBC makes no representations, warranties or guarantees regarding any of the boilers or their purported efficiency ratings and does not endorse the use of any particular boiler.
Qualifying boilers installed in existing buildings in accordance with our Boiler sizing and quality installation guidelines may be eligible for a right-sizing bonus, which is the lesser of:
- the invoiced amount or $500 for boilers up to 1,500 MBH
- the invoiced amount or $1,000 for boilers 1,500 MBH or higher
How to apply
- Ensure the boiler you plan to buy is an eligible model. If you have questions, contact us before you purchase and install a boiler.
- Contact a gas or mechanical contractor, licensed with Technical Safety BC, to install your boiler(s). You can find one through our contractor directory.
- Complete your boiler rebate application and email it to email@example.com within 365 days of the purchase date (as shown on the paid invoice)
or installation date (as listed on the application form), whichever is first. Be sure to provide copies of the fully paid invoice including make and model number of the eligible boiler(s) purchased and installed.
New construction projects may alternatively provide proof of payment in the form of a final progress draw invoice for the new building AND engineer-approved shop drawings that indicate the job name and site address as proof of make and model of the eligible boiler(s).
- For the right-sizing bonus
- Complete and submit an estimate of the building heating load in accordance with the Boiler sizing and quality installation guidelines.
- Include calculations showing the estimated building heating load and a copy of the invoice for the calculations with the rebate application.
We recommend submitting your application and supporting documents together to reduce processing time. If you can’t submit your application via email, contact us to arrange an alternative method of delivery.
Start your rebate application
Thermal Energy Service Providers (TESP) administration fees1
If you are a customer of a TESP, your rebate application is subject to the following administration fees:
- $825 for evaluation of the rebate application
- $490 for evaluation of eligibility for the right-sizing bonus
Any applicable fees will be deducted from the rebate amount. If the fees are equal to or more than the rebate amount you would otherwise receive, the net rebate will be $0. Customers of TESPs are eligible for the right-sizing bonus, but only on eligible boilers with an input rating of 1,500 MBH or more.
1A TESP is as an individual or organization, other than the participant, who owns thermal energy generating assets such as eligible water heaters for the purpose of selling the thermal energy they generate to the participant.