Energy efficiency for rental apartments and accommodations
We can help property managers and owners of eligible apartment buildings, hotels and motels make changes to save money, energy and water at no cost.
The building must:
- be a purpose-built rental (apartment building, hotel or motel) containing a minimum of nine units
- receive natural gas and/or electricity under a commercial rate class from FortisBC or municipal electricity of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro
- have central electric1 or natural gas water heating
- not be slated for demolition
- not have water-efficient showerheads and aerators previously installed in the rental suites
This program provides qualifying buildings with a free energy assessment and installation of products in each suite to help you and your guests and tenants save energy, water and money. Plus, you can access ongoing support for bigger upgrades.
Free building energy assessment
A building energy assessment with our engineering consultants will help identify no- and low-cost ways to improve your building’s energy efficiency. You’ll also learn about opportunities to save energy and costs through our rebates for upgrading to high-efficiency space and water heating systems.
Free installation of energy- and water-saving products
In about 15 to 20 minutes per suite, our contractors will install:
- a water-efficient showerhead
- kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators
Note: per the BC Residential Tenancy Act, apartment buildings must provide tenants with proper notice to access suites. A property manager, owner or building representative must accompany contractors as they install products in each tenant's suite and complete the building energy assessment. For hotels and motels, only unoccupied rooms will be accessed to install upgrades.
Ongoing support for energy-efficiency upgrades
If you decide to make larger energy-efficiency upgrades, we’ll support you every step of the way, from acquiring quotes and finding the right contractor to applying for rebates.
Watch our video to learn more
Natural gas customers
Natural gas/electricity customers in Southern Interior
How to apply
- Apply online for the Rental Apartment Efficiency Program.
- Allow a minimum of 30 days to process your application.
- If your application is approved, we’ll contact you to schedule a date for the building energy assessment and the direct installation of showerheads and faucet aerators. Installations will happen on a weekday. We can also provide apartment building owners and managers with posters to display in common areas of the building to remind tenants of the scheduled upgrades.
Start your rebate application
Here's how much energy you could save
A typical building where a water-efficient showerhead and faucet aerators are installed in each unit along with gas absorption heat pumps, could expect to save up to 44% in energy savings.2
If your water is metered, water-efficient products could help save money on your building’s water bill.
We’re here to help
1Only for FortisBC or municipal electricity customers. BC Hydro customers with central electric water heating are not eligible for this program.
2The 44 per cent is based on 35 percent energy savings for using gas absorption heat pumps for domestic hot water and 12 per cent savings for installed water-efficient fixtures, multiplied by the reduced load of 0.82 to result in 9 per cent savings in combination. Gas absorption heat pump savings of 35 per cent are from M&V studies conducted by BES at 7 pilot project locations. The water-efficient fixture savings of 12 per cent are based on a 2015 joint FortisBC and BC Hydro study of 70 multi-unit residential buildings that participated in a direct install program with no other energy efficiency upgrades made to the buildings. Actual results may vary. Savings do not include the basic charge or carbon or other taxes.