Commercial Performance Program for Existing Buildings
Standard energy-efficiency measures are not always sufficient for the complex and specialized requirements of commercial buildings. This program helps you develop custom energy-efficiency solutions to help reduce overall energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, improve the performance of your facility, increase occupant comfort and save on operating costs.
- You must be a FortisBC commercial rate class natural gas customer and/or a FortisBC electricity customer or municipal electricity customer of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland and Nelson Hydro.
- You must be an owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing medium to large commercial, institutional, multi-unit residential, light industrial or agricultural building or facility.
- You must select a consultant included in FortisBC’s list of approved consultants to perform a detailed energy study.
- For natural gas customers, your project must have the potential to save a minimum 1,200 GJ of natural gas annually.
- For FortisBC or municipal electricity customers, your non-lighting project must have the potential to save 50,000 kWh of electricity annually. Visit our commercial lighting rebates page to learn more about available rebates.
This program provides several types of funding1 to help you identify and then implement cost-effective energy conservation measures that are tailored to your building. For natural gas customers, the program provides funding for natural gas energy-efficiency projects. FortisBC and municipal electricity customers are also eligible for funding for electricity energy-efficiency projects.
Energy study funding
This funding is offered to help you have a detailed engineering analysis of your facility performed to identify opportunities for cost-effective natural gas and/or electricity projects. The maximum amount of funding available for the energy study is 50 per cent of the cost of the energy study, subject to review and approval, to a maximum of $25,000. You must use an engineering consultant listed on the FortisBC approved list.
Capital incentive funding
Incentives are offered to encourage the implementation of cost-effective natural gas and/or electricity conservation measures identified in the energy study. The funding is available to offset the additional cost of implementing the approved energy conservation measure over and above the cost of equivalent yet less efficient alternatives (i.e. the incremental cost).2 See the Participant guide for details of how incentives are calculated.
Implementation bonus funding
This funding is offered as an added bonus if you successfully implement one or more approved energy conservation measures. You are then eligible for implementation bonus funding equal to the preceding energy study funding amount, to a maximum of $25,000.
Incentives from CleanBC
For a limited time, additional incentives are available through the province’s CleanBC program.
Contact your natural gas key account manager or electricity technical advisor for more information.
How to apply
- Review the Participant guide.
- Contact your natural gas key account manager or electricity technical advisor to discuss your project. For natural gas projects, you’ll be required to complete a thermal energy services provider declaration form as part of the application process.
- We’ll then schedule a project kick-off meeting between you and FortisBC.
- You must receive approval in writing from an authorized FortisBC representative before commissioning or beginning the energy study, or purchasing or installing any of the proposed energy conservation measures.
- Any approved energy conservation measures must be installed and operational within 18 months of capital incentive funding approval.
- You must operate the energy conservation measures for at least 36 months after installation.
We’re here to help
If you have questions, contact your natural gas key account manager or electricity technical advisor, call 1-866-884-8833 or email email@example.com.
This program is funded by FortisBC, the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.
1 You must notify FortisBC if you receive funding towards the completion of the energy study or the implementation of an approved energy conservation measure through financial incentive programs from other organizations. You may be required
to repay all or a portion of the incentive.
2Tools, clothing, scaffolding, equipment rentals, travel, insurance and all other miscellaneous or incidental costs that may be required by the consultant or participant to implement the energy conservation measures are NOT eligible for an incentive. Additional terms and conditions apply.