Natural gas water heater rebate
Upgrade to a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR® water heater and you could get rebates from $200 to $1,000.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements and the terms and conditions below.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice® fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
- If the registered owner of the property where upgrades were made is not the utility account holder (e.g. landlord/tenant) the owner must have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- The home must be a year-round primary residence at least 12 months old and be either a single-family, duplex, triplex, row home, townhouse or mobile home on a permanent foundation. New construction, additions and garage upgrades are not eligible. Apartments and condos are eligible for fireplace rebates only.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the paid invoice date.
- Rebates cannot exceed the paid cost on the invoice.
- Only one rebate per home for a primary space heating system and a water heater is allowed.1
View full program rebate requirements.
Natural gas water heater specific requirements
- All upgrades must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed. Self-installations are not eligible.
- The existing primary water heating system must be replaced with a new, eligible natural gas water heater. Warranty replacements are not eligible.
Review the terms and conditions
Rebate eligible natural gas water heaters
Make sure the natural gas water heater you’re planning to purchase is eligible for a rebate by using our search tool. Only models listed here qualify. Enter a manufacturer or model number to start your search.
Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.
If it’s time to replace your old water heater, you have choices beyond a standard storage tank, including high-efficiency tankless and condensing models. Compare each type below and choose a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR water heater for a rebate of up to $1,000.
Life expectancy: 10 to 13 years
Life expectancy: about 20 years
Condensing storage tank
Life expectancy: 12 to 15 years
|Two-upgrade bonus||$300||Install an eligible natural gas water heater and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus.|
How can I tell if my water heater needs replacing?
There’s no repairing a leaky water heater. If you notice any of these signs it may be time to get a new one. You can purchase your water heater from a retailer, but to be eligible for this rebate it must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a valid GST number.
- leaking or pooling water on the top around the water connections and/or under or near the heater
- rust stains on laundry or in showers or sinks may be evidence of rust buildup in the water heater
- rusty water comes out of the taps
- slow hot water recovery time – it takes longer to heat up water or the water doesn’t get as hot even though heat settings haven’t changed
- bubbling or boiling noises in your tank as water heats up
How to apply
- Purchase a qualifying water heater and have it installed by a gas contractor licensed with Technical Safety BC. You can find a gas contractor through our online directory.
- Apply online and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including:
- purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number
- gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number
See a sample invoice for water heaters for specific requirements.
Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you've registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.
2 Every home is different. Installation costs are averages and can vary depending on the installation requirements in each home.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas boiler and combination heating and hot water system rebates
Natural gas water heater rebate