Natural gas furnace rebates
Replace your old natural gas furnace with an eligible ENERGY STAR® model and you could qualify for a rebate of up to $1,000. Plus, if you install an eligible connected thermostat, you could be qualify for an additional $150 rebate.
Before beginning work, make sure you qualify for this rebate by reviewing the Program Rebate Requirements, as outlined in the terms and conditions and the eligibility and rebate details below.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice® fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
Furnace and thermostat specific requirements
- The furnace must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a GST number and valid BC business licence.
- The furnace must be replacing an existing natural gas primary1 space heating system that’s a minimum of 10 years old. Note: homes converting from oil, propane or wood may be eligible for connect to gas rebates. Converting from electricity is not eligible.
- Warranty replacements or emergency replacements of space heating systems not in working order or deemed unsafe to operate by a licensed gas contractor are not eligible for rebates.
- You must install an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace with a two-pipe direct vent system. A photo of the two-pipe direct vent system (sample 1, sample 2) must be made available upon request. For more information, see our info sheet: Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
- The new furnace must undergo commissioning to ensure it's installed and operating according to best practice. A copy of the completed commissioning sheet must be made available upon request.
- To be eligible for the connected thermostat rebate, the qualifying thermostat must be installed by your licensed gas contractor at the same time as the new, qualifying furnace.
Review the terms and conditions
Rebate eligible furnaces
Make sure the natural gas furnace you’re planning to purchase is eligible for a rebate by using our search tool. Only models listed here qualify. Enter a manufacturer or model number to start your search.
Note: some results may include an asterisk “*” in place of characters. As long as the characters before and after the asterisk match your model number, your model is eligible.
|95 to 96.9 annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||$800||Eligible furnaces|
|97 to 99% annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) furnace||$1,000||Eligible furnaces|
Note: thermostats are not a bonus-eligible upgrade.
|Two-upgrade bonus||$300||Install an eligible ENERGY STAR natural gas furnace and make an additional Home Renovation Rebate upgrade and you could qualify for our $300 two-upgrade bonus.|
How to apply
- Purchase an eligible ENERGY STAR furnace and have it installed with a two-pipe direct vent system by a Technical Safety BC licensed gas contractor with a valid GST number. You can find a contractor by searching our online directory.
Apply online. Your application must include:
- a copy of your paid invoice showing details of:
- all work performed
- purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number and the gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number (see the sample invoice for specific requirements.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process. A small percentage of applicants may be asked for permission to visit their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace. These site visits are carried out by a third-party contractor and help us improve our rebate programs.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you’ve registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.
For more tips on using the online rebate application, read our how-to guide.
Incentives for gas contractors
Contractors who would like to take part in our Furnace Replacement Program can receive a $100 incentive for each approved customer application.
Contractors are required to agree to terms and conditions and comply with requirements in the High-efficiency furnace installation guide for existing houses.
Third-party offers and services
Ecolighten Energy Solutions and IOE Consulting
As we work to continuously improve our programs, we will be asking a small percentage of applicants to provide access to their home to verify the installation and operation of their new furnace. This work is being carried out by one of our third-party contractors:
The site visit may be conducted either in-person or virtually using an app such as FaceTime or Google Hangouts. Ecolighten and IOE staff will always call in advance to book a site visit appointment with you. Their staff also carry photo ID badges identifying them as FortisBC contractors.
Ensure a quality furnace installation
Having your high-efficiency heating system installed to quality standards can help provide you with years of comfort and energy savings. Check out these resources to learn more:
- Watch our short video to learn what quality installation standards are and how to choose a natural gas contractor.
- Review our info sheet: Five things to know before your new high-efficiency furnace is installed.
We’re here to help
If you have questions about rebates, contact us online or call us at 1-855-909-2329.
This program is funded in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.
1 A primary space heating system is a furnace, boiler, combination system or an air source heat pump. Natural gas fireplaces are considered secondary space heating systems. Primary space heating and water heater rebates are offered in conjunction with BC Hydro and CleanBC Better Homes rebates.
Rebate bundle: Home renovations
Natural gas furnace rebates