We understand the importance of a lower-carbon future for our customers and BC and we’re committed to leading the way. To do this successfully, we need to balance financial, environmental and social factors. Our focus on sustainability is about prioritizing the health and well-being of our customers, our communities, the environment and our employees—today, and into the future.
Setting our 30BY30 target
As the foremost energy provider to 1.2 million British Columbians, we have an opportunity to advance a cleaner energy future for our province and do our part in the campaign against climate change.
Our aim with the 30BY30 target is to reduce our customers’ greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent by the year 2030. And we’re well on the path.
Understanding our pathway
In 2018, we released our plan to reduce emissions in the Clean Growth Pathway to 2050. This was also part of the consultation surrounding the province’s CleanBC Strategy. The pathway outlined four key areas that would make substantial reductions in GHG emissions across the province. We are:
- tripling investment in energy efficiency in homes, businesses and industry and developing innovative energy projects in BC’s communities
- investing in low and zero-carbon vehicles and transportation infrastructure
- increasing Renewable Gas inventory by increasing Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) supply and advancing hydrogen deployment
- positioning BC as a vital domestic and international Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) provider to lower global GHG emissions
Our 30BY30 target is part of the next phase of our Clean Growth Pathway. It will help focus us on our path, allow us to track our progress and drive us to find innovative new solutions that advance a sustainable future – in an affordable way. Learn more about our 30BY30 target.
Our commitment to BC’s energy future can be seen in the progress we’ve made so far. See our 2018 Corporate and Sustainability Report and our 2017 Sustainability Report, which detail some significant achievements and our own sustainability performance measures.
Our Clean Growth Innovation Fund will allow us to invest an additional $4.9 million per year in innovative projects such as Renewable Natural Gas initiatives, to reduce emissions for a cleaner tomorrow. These projects will be funded in partnerships with government and industry.
Our core values
Safety: we put safety first
We work hard to ensure the safety of our employees, our customers and the public. Learn more about our approach to safety.
Customer care: we value our customers
Every day we work to provide our customers with great service and innovative energy solutions—safely, reliably and at the lowest reasonable cost.
Collaboration: we work as one company, one team with shared success
Our teams work in collaboration to support projects and programs that benefit our customers, our communities and our employees.
Respect: we are respectful, honest and ethical
We believe in treating everyone with respect and fairness. We value diversity and inclusion and we work with municipalities and Indigenous communities to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships.
Progress: we seek better ways
We research and test alternative energy solutions so our customers will continue to have the energy they need, while reducing our impact to the environment. Learn more about our sustainable energy options like Renewable Natural Gas and electric vehicle charging stations.
Our sustainability pillars
We’re focused on four primary sustainability pillars—our customers, our partners and communities, the environment and our employees—and the actions we take to ensure these pillars provide a strong foundation for our future as a sustainable company:
- providing quality customer service
- delivering energy safely, reliably and at the lowest reasonable cost
- offering innovative energy solutions to meet customers’ needs
- educating customers and the public about energy safety and emergency preparedness
Partners and communities
- investing where we live and work
- creating jobs for British Columbians
- recognizing our gas and electricity infrastructure crosses more than 150 Indigenous traditional territories and our company provides service to 57 Indigenous communities
- nurturing relationships with Indigenous communities through understanding, respect, open communication and trust, in line with our Statement of Indigenous Principles
- researching and testing cutting-edge technology like carbon capture and hydrogen blending
- conservation and energy management programs to help our customers save energy
- increasing the energy efficiency of our own operations
- investing in innovative energy solutions and practices working towards a low-carbon future, like Renewable Natural Gas
- providing a safe, respectful and engaging workplace
- recognizing the value of our employees
- supporting diversity in the workplace, increasing our ability to recruit and retain the best talent
- developing a stable and motivated workforce to meet our customers’ energy needs and our shareholders’ expectations