Navigate Up
Sign In


Pipeline and right of way permits

A permit is always required if you're working:

  • within 10 metres of a transmission pressure (TP) pipeline
  • within two metres of an intermediate pressure (IP) pipeline
  • within a FortisBC right of way​​​

Find out if you need a permit

Your first call is to BC One Call at 1-800-474-6886 or *6886 on the Telus or Rogers mobile network.

Failure to obtain FortisBC permission results in an unauthorized crossing. Depending on the severity of the risk to the integrity of the high pressure natural gas pipeline, we’re required to notify and forward a report to the Workers' Compensation Board of BC and the BC Oil and Gas Commission. Depending on the ruling of these two regulatory agencies, contraventions to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Regulations and/or Oil and Gas Activities Act of BC may result in fines.

Permit desk​
Toll free: 1-877-599-0996
Tel: 604-576-7021


 Permit applications


To cross a FortisBC right of way, you must first call BC One Call to obtain a reference number and then apply for a pipeline and/or right of way works permit.

The application and approval process for a permit ensures compliance with applicable regulations and supports our commitment to public, employee, asset and environmental safety.

How to apply

Applications can be submitted through our online form. Please allow a minimum of 15 days for processing.

  1. Complete the online application​.
    Note: This form works best with Chrome or Firefox. If you use an alternate browser such as Internet Explorer, you may experience a delay while the form loads. In that case, please wait until the form loads, and do not hit refresh.
  1. Attach the following drawing or sketch as part of your online application:
    • Plan view: drawn to a suggested scale of 1:500 or larger, this view should show the proposed changes and supply sufficient geographical reference such as legal property lines and roads. It should also include all details pertinent to the proposal, such as tie-in dimensions from some known point along the natural gas pipeline (road allowance or property line) to a point where the crossing facility intersects the pipeline.
    • Profile view: drawn at a suggested scale of 1:200 horizontal or larger and 1:100 vertical or larger, the profile view (cross section view) should show a profile along the natural gas pipeline and/or a profile across the pipeline, indicating depth of cover over the pipeline and the clearance between the pipeline and your facility.

​Once you’ve received the natural gas pipeline and/or right of way works permit and drawings, you’ll need to book an on-site inspection with us by calling the FortisBC representative listed on the first page of your permit.

Inspections require a minimum of 72 hours’ notice, excluding weekends and statutory holidays. Please plan your work schedule accordingly.

You must also keep copies of the approved permit and associated plans at the work site at all times—this is a requirement of the pipeline and/or right of way works permit.


 More about permits


Activities within a right of way that require a permit

  • ​increasing or decreasing ground elevation
  • road and driveway crossings and/or movement of vehicles and equipment across, on or along the right of way (temporary or permanent)
  • logging roads (temporary or permanent) and/or logging activities
  • underground and overhead utilities
  • ditches, drains, sanitary and storm sewers, irrigation lines, water lines and dikes
  • test holes
  • fences and posts (subject to individual review)
  • Christmas tree or commercial tree farming
  • parking lots
  • railways
  • commercial or recreational vehicle parking
  • sports fields or golf courses (subject to limits on re-grading landscaping, irrigation lines or paving, and on installation of structures such as goal posts and backstops)
  • trails (subject to individual review)
  • blasting in the vicinity of a transmission natural gas pipeline
  • preloading adjacent to a right of way
  • stockpiling material adjacent to a right of way

You require our approval, but you don’t need a permit for:

  • planting flower beds, vegetable gardens, lawns, low shrubbery (under 1.8 metres at maturity and not to be planted within one metre of a natural gas pipeline) and normal farming
  • livestock grazing

Prohibited activities within a right of way

  • ​buildings, structures or foundations (including garden sheds, patios, concrete slabs, playhouses, swimming pools and satellite dishes)
  • overhanging roofs and balconies
  • parallel or tapering encroachment by roads or other utilities
  • blasting
  • dumping, stockpiling material or preloading of any kind
  • planting trees
  • falling trees
  • burning of materials (waste, scrap lumber and slash)
  • digging wells and pits
  • pile-driving, poles for power lines and street lighting
  • augering or other boreholes
  • erecting signs
  • storage of equipment, building goods, vehicles or flammable materials
  • commercial garbage disposal containers (e.g. dumpsters)
  • septic fields and tanks

 Additional resources


Check out these easy checklists and guides for your next excavation project: