Do you suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home?
- Open all doors and windows.
- Get fresh air immediately outside.
- Seek medical attention if needed.
- Turn off any appliances that you suspect are faulty.
- Have a licensed gas contractor inspect your appliances.
Signs that carbon monoxide may be present include:
- an unidentified chronic odour inside the building
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
If carbon monoxide is inhaled, it depletes the amount of oxygen in your red blood cells, resulting in specific symptoms. Depending on the amount inhaled and the length of time you have been exposed, symptoms could include the following:
- chronic headaches
- impaired judgment
- loss of coordination
Exposure to high amounts of carbon monoxide can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage and death. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning take the following steps:
- move the person to fresh air right away
- call for medical assistance
The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from natural gas appliances is extremely low. A very small percentage of carbon monoxide deaths are actually caused by natural gas appliances. Most are caused by fires and car exhaust.