Replace your aging water heater with a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR model and you could save on energy costs, plus you’ll be eligible for a rebate of up to $1,000.
- You must be a FortisBC natural gas residential customer.
- You must be replacing an existing old water heater.
- You must purchase a qualifying ENERGY STAR water heater between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
*You can find a complete list of requirements under the relevant terms and conditions listed below.
||0.67 - 0.69 EF
||0.82 - 0.89 EF
||0.90 - 0.99 EF
||90 - 99% TE
|Condensing storage tank
||90 - 99% TE /.80 EF**
*Ef - energy factor; TE = thermal efficiency
**Residential-grade condensing storage tank water heaters
- Why ENERGY STAR?
Heating water typically takes between 20 per cent and 35 per cent of your home’s total energy use. So it makes sense to install the most efficient model you can afford. Natural gas water heater efficiency is usually measured by an energy factor (EF) rating. The higher the EF rating, the more efficient the water heater. To qualify as ENERGY STAR gas-fired water heaters must achieve a minimum 0.67 EF rating.
- Finding the right model for your home
ENERGY STAR® non-condensing storage tank models have an EF between 0.67 and 0.70 making them more efficient than standard storage tank models (typically between 0.50 and 0.62 EF) operating in many homes today. As these models aren’t as efficient as tankless and/or condensing technology, their price point is more affordable. However, while some model numbers are similar, efficiency ratings may differ. Please check our qualifying water heater list prior to making your purchase.
How to apply
- Review the terms and conditions.
- Purchase a qualifying water heater and have it installed by a gas contractor licensed with the BC Safety Authority (BCSA). You can find a contractor on our Trade Ally Network directory.
- Complete the application form and include a copy of the invoice showing details of all work performed, the purchase date, make and model number and the installation permit number.
- Submit the completed and signed application with the invoice to:
ENERGY STAR Water Heater Program
PO Box 9090
Surrey, BC V3T 5W4
- If you qualify, we’ll mail you the rebate. Please allow a minimum of 90 days to process.
Water heaters must be purchased between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. Applications must be submitted within 60 days of purchase.
Qualify for additional rebates
If you’re making multiple energy-efficiency upgrades to your home, consider having an EnerGuide* home evaluation first. As well as the water heater rebate, you could qualify for an additional $750 bonus and insulation and draftproofing rebates through our Home Energy Rebate Offer.
*EnerGuide is an official mark of Natural Resources Canada.
For more information, call us toll free at 1-800-663-8400 or email us at email@example.com.