Natural gas boiler rebates for non-profit organizations
Improve your building’s energy performance by installing an eligible high-efficiency natural gas boiler and qualify for a rebate of up to $75,000, which includes additional rebates for charities and non-profit housing providers of up to $30,000.
- You must be a FortisBC commercial natural gas customer who owns or operates a registered charity that provides assistance to low-income persons, or a housing provider that is:
- a local government
- housing society registered under the Societies Act
- a housing co-op registered under the Cooperative Association Act or
- a governing body of an Indigenous band, provided the housing is primarily for low-income households
Note: top-up participants do not include:
- school boards or educational institutions
- health authorities or hospitals
- public libraries
- You must be a property owner or long-term leaseholder of an existing commercial building or a builder/developer or property owner of a new commercial construction project.
- Boilers must be used to meet your site's thermal loads: space, pool and/or process heating. Boilers installed to meet other operational needs (such as backup, standby or secondary boilers) are not eligible.
- Submit an application and supporting documentation no later than 365 days after the purchase date of the product(s) (as shown on the paid invoice) or installation date (as shown on the application form), whichever is first.
Rebate amounts are determined by the size (in 1,000 Btu/hour or MBH) and thermal efficiency (TE) of the boiler.
|85 per cent to 89.99 per cent TE||$7 per MBH, up to $35,000 per boiler||For details about eligible models, see the lists of eligible commercial boilers.|
|90 per cent or higher TE||$15 per MBH, up to $75,000 per boiler|
Which boilers are eligible?
New boilers must be certified and included on one of the lists below at the time of purchase, as evidenced by the date on the proof of purchase:
- ENERGY STAR® certified boiler
- AHRI certified commercial boilers list
- listed in the applicable tables for boilers 300 MBH or greater
All new boilers must also have a thermal efficiency of 85 per cent or greater. Boilers that receive AHRI or ENERGY STAR certification after the date of purchase are not eligible for a rebate. Boilers that were previously listed on AHRI (within the past two years) may be considered for a rebate; please contact your key account manager to confirm before purchasing.
Note: FortisBC makes no representations, warranties or guarantees regarding any of the boilers or their purported efficiency ratings and does not endorse the use of any particular boiler.
Qualifying boilers installed in existing buildings in accordance with our Boiler sizing and quality installation guidelines may be eligible for a right-sizing bonus, which is the lesser of:
- the invoiced amount or $500 for boilers up to 1,500 MBH
- the invoiced amount or $1,000 for boilers 1,500 MBH or higher
How to apply
- Ensure the boiler you plan to buy is an eligible model . If you have questions, contact us before you purchase and install a boiler.
- Contact a gas or mechanical contractor, licensed with Technical Safety BC, to install your boiler(s). You can find one in our contractor directory.
- Complete your boiler rebate application and
email it to firstname.lastname@example.org within 365 days of the purchase date (as shown on the paid invoice) or installation date (as shown on the application form),
whichever is first. Be sure to provide copies of the fully paid invoice including make and model number of the eligible boiler(s) purchased and installed.
New construction projects may alternatively provide proof of payment in the form of a final progress draw invoice for the new building AND engineer-approved shop drawings that indicate the job name and site address as proof of make and model number(s) of the eligible boiler(s).
- For the right-sizing bonus
- Complete and submit an estimate of the building heating load in accordance with the Boiler sizing and quality installation guidelines.
- Include calculations showing the estimated building heating load and a copy of the invoice for the calculations with the rebate application.
We recommend submitting your application and supporting documents together to reduce processing time. If you can’t submit your application via email, contact us to arrange an alternative method of delivery.
Start your rebate application
Thermal Energy Service Providers (TESP) administration fees1
If you are a customer of a TESP, your rebate application is subject to the following administration fees:
- $825 for evaluation of the rebate application
- $490 for evaluation of eligibility for the right-sizing bonus
Any applicable fees will be deducted from the rebate amount. If the fees are equal to or more than the rebate amount you would otherwise receive, the net rebate will be $0. Customers of TESPs are eligible for the right-sizing bonus, but only on eligible boilers with an input rating of 1,500 MBH or more.
1A TESP is as an individual or organization, other than the participant, who owns thermal energy generating assets such as eligible water heaters for the purpose of selling the thermal energy they generate to the participant.
We’re here to help
Help your residents save energy too
Our Energy Conservation Assistance Program can help income-qualified residents save energy with a free home energy evaluation, installation of energy-saving products and advice. Plus, we can work with you to coordinate the delivery of the program to multiple units in a complex.