Whether you’re excavating on a job site or digging in your own garden, find out where gas lines and buried utilities are before you dig.
Call or click on BC One Call first to get your free natural gas line location details. It could help you avoid safety hazards and costly repairs.
Three easy steps for safe digging
- Call or click: Call BC One Call at 1-800-474-6886 or click on bconecall.ca to make an e-ticket locate request a minimum of two business days before you start your project. BC One Call will notify all member companies that have buried utilities in your dig area.
- Review: Within two or three business days, FortisBC will provide you information to safely locate gas lines. Review it before digging.
- Clarify: Need help understanding where it's safe to dig? Call FortisBC at 1-888-822-6555 and we can walk you through the details.
How to hand dig after receiving location details
- Use the information provided to mark the location of buried lines.
- Carefully hand dig to expose the lines—do not use power equipment within one metre of the gas line.
- Proceed with your project, avoiding the line.
Working around natural gas lines
If your job involves breaking ground of any kind, download these resources to help you dig safely: