Energy-saving tips for business
Want to lower your energy bill? These tips, along with our rebates on high-efficiency equipment can help save on the cost of heating, lighting and power—and improve your bottom line.
Top tips for energy efficiency
- Have your heating system serviced annually by a licensed contractor to ensure it operates safely and efficiently.
- Install programmable thermostats to turn down the heat to about 17 °C after business hours and in unoccupied or infrequently used areas.
- Regularly maintain and replace worn caulking and weatherstripping around windows and exterior doors to prevent drafts and heat loss.
- Have storage tanks and hot water supply boilers serviced regularly. Flush storage tank water heaters annually to maintain proper heat transfer and improve lifespan.
- Install water-efficient fixtures such as showerheads and faucet aerators in washrooms and high-efficiency pre-rinse spray valves for dishwashing. These inexpensive upgrades can save thousands of litres of hot water a year, and you can probably install them yourself.
- Upgrade to LED lighting to enhance your atmosphere and save energy costs. You can replace standard incandescent bulbs with ENERGY STAR® certified LED bulbs and T12 fluorescent lamps with high-performance T8 or LED lighting.
- Turn off lights, computers and other equipment when they’re not needed or overnight. Installing lighting controls with occupancy sensors can help make saving energy easy and automatic.
- Get people involved. Creating awareness and offering incentives can motivate staff to change behaviours to save energy. Together with BC Hydro, we’ve created ready-made materials you can use to start an energy-saving campaign in your workplace.