You are ready for an earthquake, but are your appliances?
March 1, 2017 by Amy Scott
According to recent reports, BC may be facing higher chances of a large earthquake. FortisBC wants to make sure our customers and BC residents know how to prepare their home before an earthquake hits and what to do after. Specifically, we want to share important tips on how to secure natural gas and electrical appliances.
“In addition to preparing and protecting yourself, it is critical to know how to prevent unsafe situations in your home and business by securing appliances that could otherwise fall during an earthquake.” – Michelle Petrusevich, Public Safety Manager, FortisBC.
Know what to do:
Before an earthquake
- Securely strap down gas water heaters
- Anchor and secure appliances throughout home
- Locate and become familiar with the main gas shut off valve, in case you need to shut it off
After an earthquake
- Get clearance from local authorities before entering your home
- FortisBC will restore customer services as quickly and safely as possible after an emergency
- Check gas appliances and equipment for any damage
If you detect the rotten egg smell of gas or hear the hissing sound of gas escaping, get outside and call our 24-hour emergency line at 1-800-663-9911.
For additional information, read our tips on making sure you and your loved ones are safe and ready before, during and after an earthquake. Check out this video to learn more.