Stories and news from FortisBC
Keep your meters snow-free and safe
December 13, 2016
We all look forward to the fun things that come with winter months, like skiing and snowshoeing or hot tubbing and hot chocolate, for the less adventurous type. But that fluffy white stuff also brings some potential safety hazards. Keeping your natural gas meter clear of ice or snow means you, the meter reader or emergency responders can reach it at all times.
Clear a path to your meter whenever you shovel your driveway to make sure it can be accessed safely. Also, make sure you clear the ice and snow from your meters by:
- Removing any built-up snow by hand until the regulator and shut-off valve are clear
- Never kick or hit the meter to break ice or snow build-up
- Don’t use a snowplow or blower near your meter
- When shoveling snow, don’t push the snow up against your meter
- If ice builds up on your meter or regulator, call FortisBC at 1-888-224-2710
Find more news
Subscribe to FortisBC news
Our newsletters provide energy-saving tips, project news, contests and more for residential and commercial customers.