FortisBC to host community open houses for its no-cost energy saving program
Jun 10, 2019
Learn about the hands-on help available for those who need it most
SURREY, B.C., June 7, 2019 — Drafty doors and over-worked furnaces are just a few of the issues that can lead to extra costs for people renting or owning a less-efficient home. To help its most vulnerable customers reduce these costs, FortisBC is hosting open houses in the Kootenays, Boundary and South Okanagan to share information about its no-cost programs that offer everything from energy-efficient light bulbs and weatherstripping to a new energy-efficient refrigerator or a high-efficiency natural gas furnace.
“The most affordable homes to rent or buy can also be the least affordable to heat, and we know that energy-efficiency issues like this are an additional burden for our customers on the tightest budgets,” said Ned Georgy, manager, conservation and energy management, FortisBC.
At the open houses, FortisBC community ambassadors will provide more information about programs for income-qualified customers and assist people in completing program applications.
One of the programs people can learn about is FortisBC’s Energy Conservation Assistance Program (ECAP), a program that provides eligible participants with a customized home energy evaluation and the installation of energy-saving products such as water-efficient fixtures, energy-efficient LED light bulbs and weatherstripping. Some homes may also qualify for insulation, an energy-efficient refrigerator or a high-efficiency natural gas furnace.
Last year alone, FortisBC performed more than 2,000 energy evaluations and installed more than 7,000 energy saving products through this program.
“That’s why we’re hosting these sessions — we want to make sure people know they can also get help saving energy and making their homes more comfortable, and at no cost,” said Georgy.
The open houses will take place at:
- Royal Canadian Legion, 502 Harold Street, Slocan, Monday, June 10, 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Kaslo Library, 413 4th Street, Tuesday, June 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Crawford Bay Hall, 16230 Wadds Road, Tuesday, June 11, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Nelson Community Complex, 305 Hall Street, Wednesday, June 12, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Castlegar Community Complex, 2101 6th Avenue, Thursday, June 13, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Trail Aquatic and Leisure Centre, 1875 Columbia Avenue, Thursday, June 13, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Salmo Valley Community Centre, 206 7th Street, Friday, June 14, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Grand Forks Regional779933 Aquatic Centre & Arena, 2020 Central Avenue, Wednesday, June 19, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Sonora Community Centre, 8505 68th Avenue, Osoyoos, Tuesday, June 18, 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Town of Oliver Library, 6329 Station Street, Tuesday, June 18, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Customers can visit fortisbc.com/openhouse or call an ECAP representative at 1-877-446-8855 to learn more.
Corporate Communications Advisor, FortisBC
24-hour media line: 1-855-322-6397