Medium & heavy-duty natural gas truck fleet incentives
Our financial incentives can help with the cost of upgrading to natural gas vehicles, so you can take advantage of the cost-saving benefits and emission reductions that compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG) fuel provides.
We can provide 20 to 70 per cent of the incremental cost of upgrading to a vehicle fuelled with CNG or LNG, compared to an equivalent diesel vehicle.
With FortisBC’s incentive and what we’re saving on fuel costs, our payback period was reduced from about three years to just eight months.
Kelly Hawes, President, Cold Star Freight Systems
The incentive percentage is at the discretion of FortisBC. For 2019, the medium and heavy-duty vehicle incentive program provides a base incentive of 20 per cent of the incremental capital cost between a qualifying natural gas vehicle and an equivalent diesel vehicle. This base incentive is expected to decrease in subsequent years. Some customers may be eligible for additional incentives, for up to 70 per cent of the incremental cost. This includes:
30 per cent for applicants among the first in their eligible market segment:
Fuelling station construction
There is an additional incentive of 20 per cent for applicants to build a natural gas fuelling station that is available for third-party use and is located along specific strategic transportation corridors in BC.
- Fleets must operate at least 75 per cent within BC, and incentive awards will be prorated based on the percentage of kilometres run within the province.
- Applicants must be owners or lessors of eligible vehicles in British Columbia who refuel within the FortisBC service area.
- Eligible vehicles include:
- heavy-duty vehicle: a truck or tractor-trailer with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 11,793 kg or more
- medium-duty vehicle: a vehicle with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of more than 5,360 kg but less than 11,793 kg
- Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Equifax Credit Information score of 30 or less
- Equifax Payment Index of 45 days or less
- Satisfactory Carrier Safety Rating (audited or unaudited)
Applicants who have previously received incentive funding under this program for the following types of vehicles are not eligible to receive funding for additional vehicles that will fuel at their existing fuelling stations:
- waste removal and/or recycling vehicles (fleets with more than 12 CNG powered vehicles)
- transit vehicles
Applicants are evaluated based upon the diversity of the applications received and fuelling infrastructure plans. One of our goals to assist a wide range of natural gas vehicle fleets, and to provide incentives to applicants across the province. Applicants will be awarded at the sole discretion of FortisBC.
How to apply
We accept applications every month, but incentives for the year may be fully awarded in the earlier months of the year, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible or you may have to wait until the next calendar year for funding.
Natural gas fuelling stations
You can fuel your natural gas vehicles at:
Coming soon: incentive funds up to $40 million for Renewable Natural Gas (RNG)
Interested in fuelling your vehicles with FortisBC’s RNG, to reduce your emissions even further?We’re developing the eligibility requirements, incentive structure and overall terms and conditions for this incentive program, and will be posting them here.