Make the switch* to natural gas, install an ENERGY STAR® heating system and get a $1,000 rebate.
Change your oil or propane heating system to natural gas**, install a new ENERGY STAR rated high-efficiency heating system*** and you may qualify for a $1,000 cash rebate.
* Rebate is not applicable when switching from wood or electric space heating systems.
** Oil to propane conversion only available in FortisBC distributed piped-propane service areas.
*** A forced air furnace with an AFUE rating of 95 per cent or higher, a boiler with an AFUE rating of 94 per cent or higher, or a condensing combination system used for both space and water heating.
By switching, you'll be using one of the cleanest burning fossil fuels available. Plus, today's natural gas appliances are up to 98 per cent efficient. These benefits go a long way towards shrinking your carbon footprint.
What's more, natural gas is piped directly to your home, meaning no more oil storage tank, reducing the potential for environmental harm if it corrodes and leaks. Home insurers may also require that a tank more than 15 years old be replaced. Rather than replacing it, remove it and make the switch to natural gas.
Ready to be a FortisBC customer?
- Discover the benefits of natural gas
- To speak to our representatives, call us toll-free at 1-888-224-2710, option 3. They'll tell you if your property is located near a gas main.
- Complete an application to have a service line and meter installed. A typical installation takes a day of work but it may take up to six weeks to arrange due to the permit process.
How to install your new heating system
- Contact a licensed heating contractor.
- Replace your existing oil or propane heating system with a new ENERGY STAR rated furnace/boiler.
How to apply for your rebate
Send a completed application form along with copies of the following:
- Invoice and/or work order showing details of all worked performed, including the date of installation, make and model
- and if applicable, a copy of the approval certificate and Certificate of Inspection from the BC Safety Authority
- refer to the terms and conditions for more details
Mail your application to
Switch 'n' Shrink
PO Box 9090
Surrey, BC V3T 5W4
Receive your rebate
- If you qualify, you'll receive a $1,000 rebate from FortisBC.
- New customers must apply for or receive a natural gas service line connection between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013 to be eligible for this program.
- Gas service line must be activated before Feburary 28, 2014.
- Heating system must be purchased and installed by February 28, 2014.
Check out our Questions & answers, call us toll-free at 1-800-663-8400 or email us at email@example.com