Heating your home and water consumes a whopping 75 per cent of the total energy used in your home. By switching to natural gas, you’ll save energy and money, while enjoying the cosy warmth your family needs. What's more, natural gas is piped directly to your home, meaning no more oil storage tank, and more options for other natural gas appliances too.
Just add water and save
Get a $1,000 rebate* when you switch your oil or propane heating system to natural gas and install an ENERGY STAR® high-efficiency** heating system.
Then add an ENERGY STAR water heater and you could receive up to an additional $1,000 rebate.
- How to switch to natural gas
Step 1: Get an estimate to install natural gas
To get a basic estimate on how much it will cost for FortisBC to connect gas to your house, please complete the gas service estimate online form or call 1-866-585-5715.
Step 2: Once you have an estimate, choose a contractor.
Our Contractor Program provides the highest level of service and a comprehensive selection of natural gas products. Search for a licensed contractor now.
Step 3: Complete the Residential Gas Service Application with your contractor.
A typical application takes a day of work, but may take up to six weeks to arrange due to the permit process. You can submit your application by:
- Phone: 1-866-585-5715 or Fax: 1-877-413-1152
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: 16705 Fraser Highway, Surrey BC V4N 0E8
- How to apply for your Switch 'n' Shrink rebate
- After you’ve completed the application and switched to natural gas service, you can apply for the $1,000 rebate.
- Review the Switch ‘n’ Shrink Program Terms and Conditions.
- Choose and purchase an eligible high-efficiency furnace or boiler and have it installed by a BC Safety Authority licensed gas contractor. You can find a contractor on our directory.
- Complete the Switch ‘n’ Shrink rebate application form. Include a copy of your invoice showing details of all worked performed, including the purchase date, make, model and installation permit number. (Please note: incomplete applications will delay processing.)
- Send your completed application and invoice postmarked (registered mail is recommended) to:
Switch ‘n’ Shrink
PO Box 9090
Surrey BC, V3T 5W4
If your application is approved, we’ll mail you a cheque. Please allow a minimum of 90 days to process.
- New customers must apply for or receive a natural gas service line connection between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013 to be eligible for this program.
- Gas service line must be activated before February 28, 2014.
- Heating system must be purchased and installed by February 28, 2014.
* Rebate is not applicable when switching from electric space heating systems. Oil to propane conversion only available in FortisBC distributed piped-propane service areas.
** A forced air furnace with an AFUE rating of 95 per cent or higher, a boiler with an AFUE rating of 94 per cent or higher, or a condensing combination system used for both space and water heating.